7 - You're Ok

Jorge drifted in and out of consciousness for most of the night, but despite Benji's pleas, Kaden wouldn't let either of them leave to go to the hospital.

"C'mon," he'd drawl. "He's fine. Just let him have a good night's sleep, and he'll be up and running tomorrow."

Benji couldn't believe his ears. How could this really be Jorge's boyfriend? Why would he be with someone who treated him as lowly as this? Who refused to let their significant other to go to the hospital?

The pair stayed up until about midnight, both silently watching over the injured boy as he slept peacefully on the couch. Kaden's eyes were glued to his phone most of the time, the light from the screen illuminating most of the room, while Benji's eyes refused to leave the smaller boy's pale face.

What if we're doing something wrong? What if there's something seriously wrong with him, and the longer we wait, the worse he gets? Fuck, what if he dies?

Kaden's voice came from Benji's side. "Relax. You look like you're about to freak out."

"How are you not worried about him?"

"He's alive, isn't he?"

Benji's eyes squeezed shut as he resisted the urge to punch the stupid boy. "What's your name, anyways?"

"Kaden. Kaden Tullman."

"I've never seen you in town before."

"It's a big town." Silence followed Kaden's retorted comments, followed by a question. "So? What's yours?"

"Benji."

"Is that short for Benjamin?"

"It's just Benji."

Kaden seemed to hear the threatening tone in Benji's voice, because he quieted down and returned his attention to his phone, leaving Benji to continue thinking.

Why do I even care this much, anyways? I met him less than twelve hours ago, and now I can't leave his side? Benji shook his head, rubbing his eyes in an attempt to keep himself awake. It's because of his stupid boyfriend. I can't leave him alone, when his boyfriend refuses even to consider taking him to a hospital.

Yeah, Benji thought. Yeah, that's why. I can't leave him with someone who doesn't know how to take care of him. It's dangerous.

"I'm going to bed," Kaden stated, getting up from his spot on the floor and moving to the kitchen. "He'll be ok for tonight. I'll have him text you, so you know that he survived."

Before Benji could respond, he felt something wrap around his hand that had been settled on top of Jorge's arm for most of the night. When he peered down, he realized that Jorge had regained a little bit of consciousness and was now softly holding Benji's hand, clearly out of it, but still. Benji's eyes studied the small fingers that wrapped around his, then studied the spanish boy's pale face as his eyebrows furrowed.

He couldn't just... leave.

"Actually... do you mind if I stay?" Benji asked, his voice barely above a whisper as he looked over towards Kaden. With his eyebrows raised suspiciously, Kaden lowered his phone and stared at Benji and Jorge.

"May I ask why you want to sleep over with my boyfriend?" he sneered.

"My mother's a doctor. I've learned a few things from watching her at work. I just... I think that if we don't bring him to the hospital, I'm the next best thing to that."

"I'll put on a pot of coffee for you," Kaden mumbled after a moment.

And with that, Kaden prepared the coffee and went to bed, leaving Benji and Jorge to exist silently in a room only illuminated from the moonlight that leaked through the blinds. Although he wanted too, Benji didn't get up to grab the pot of coffee, scared that if he moved, he'd wake up the precious boy who had been clinging to his hand ever since he had gotten ahold of it.

By the time Benji finally checked his phone, he realized it was a little bit after 2 in the morning. If his mom was home... Benji sighed in defeat, looking up at the boy in front of him. She'll understand, if I have to tell her.

Slowly, carefully, Benji brushed the hair that had fallen into Jorge's eyes out of them. After a moment, he found himself combing his hands through Jorge's soft locks almost fondly, soft enough not to wake him, but just enough to put the boy at a little bit of ease. He did this for an hour, just watching him, until Benji noticed Jorge's eyes flutter open.

It took Jorge a second to process that he was awake, and not dreaming, but the pain that shot up from his forehead was tremendous enough to writhe into the uncomfortable cushions, reaching out desperately to hold onto something.

"Benji? Benji?"

"You're ok," Benji whispered, grasping Jorge's shoulders and forcing him to look in his eyes. "You're ok, Jorge. I've got you."

Benji's voice was the last thing that Jorge remembered before falling back into a deep sleep, only to wake up the next morning. 

---

sorry for the crappy chapter  guys lmao
i wrote this in the span of like an hour... i just wanted to get one out before
i get surgery cuz i dont know how much ill be able to write afterwards
(don't worry the most you'll have to wait is a week but i doubt it'll be that long)
i promise to put out a great few chapters after im back :)
wish me luck :(
love you xx