Chapter 13

***                

              It was a beautiful spring day in my family home. I stared at the letter in my hand, afraid to open it. This was what I had been waiting all summer for. This was either my acceptance or rejection letter for nursing school. My parents were at work and my 15 year old sister, Amy, was listening to music in her room. I fumbled with the envelope and finally got it open. I was so scared. What if I didn't get in? I'd be crushed. I unfolded the letter and held my breath as I read the first line. "Congratulations you've been accepted into nursing school." A scream escaped my mouth as I started jumping up and down in my room. I had worked so hard for this. My sister ran into the room, concerned that I was screaming.

          "What's happening?" She asked.

            "I got accepted into nursing school!" I exclaimed, shoving the letter into her hands.

             A huge smile filled my face and there was nothing that could bring me down now. Amy wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly. We were always close to one another since we weren't that far apart in age. I loved her more than anyone in the world.

          "I'm so happy for you, sis." She grinned.

               I already had a plan in mind after I graduated high school I was going to get my own apartment in Myrtle Beach on the beach and go to nursing school. I always loved the ocean so to get to live so close to it would make me happy. The college was maybe fifteen minutes from the coast so it wasn't a terrible drive for me. I was always an independent person so moving out as soon as I could was always a goal of mine. It made me sad to leave my family but it was only about a thirty minute drive to their house so I wasn't going very far. This was one of the best days of my life.

                                                                                         ***

                I looked in the mirror at my beautiful lace white dress that ended at my knees. I slipped on my red gown over it along with my cap. My dark brown hair was curled and just enough makeup was carefully put on for the special day. Today was graduation day and I couldn't be any more excited. I'd worked my butt off in high school, making sure to get good grades as well as having volunteer hours to help with colleges. I'd be starting nursing school in fall and couldn't wait. I'd always loved helping people. Nursing was my true calling and I'd finally get to start my dream.

              The ceremony started and I was blessed to sit next to my best friend, Rachael. She had gotten accepted into nursing school with me so we would continue our journey together. I couldn't imagine not having her with me during the significant day.

              "I can't believe we are finally done with this place." Rachael whispered to me, grinning from ear to ear.

            "We are going to be college students!" I exclaimed.

            Name after name was called until it was finally my turn to walk across the stage.

            "Alessa Marshall." My name echoed throughout the stadium.

            With a giant smile across my face, I walked across the stage, hoping I didn't fall on my face or do anything embarrassing. My principal handed me my diploma and I almost got teary eyed. This was finally it. I was done. Another milestone completed.