three

SAM TURNED HER ENGINE OFF AND STARED INTO HER STEERING WHEEL FOR A FEW PEACEFUL SECONDS

SAM TURNED HER ENGINE OFF AND STARED INTO HER STEERING WHEEL FOR A FEW PEACEFUL SECONDS. She took advantage of the time she had before she would see Steve.

By the time Sam got home last night-and finally got away from Billy taunting her- it was way past 8:30. And Steve didn't even ring her that evening or climb through her bedroom window to check on her.

As humiliating as it was for Sam, she blubbered all evening and eventually, when her eyes stung and her throat was sore from the crying, she drifted to sleep. She couldn't believe the audacity Steve held.

It truly showed Sam, through all of her denial, that Steve only saw her as his best friend. Perhaps, if he was in love with her, he wouldn't do that. Not even friends do that, let alone lovers.

Sam got shaken out of her thoughts by a knock on the passenger window. She jumped slightly and clutched her chest as she glanced up. Steve. She scowled at him and grabbed her bag as she pulled her keys out of the ignition and climbed out of the car. The last thing she wanted was to speak to him.

"Sam! Please, just let me explain myself" Steve begged as he jogged to catch up with her fast pace.

"Leave me alone, Steve" Sam growled as she hid her face by looking at her feet.

Sam could already feel her tears welling up. She didn't want to cry over such a pathetic issue. And, if it were any other person, she wouldn't cry. But because it was Steve, it made her even more so incredibly sad.

"No. I want you to hear me out" Steve stated.

Sam couldn't utter another word before she collided with a hard chest. Gasping, she stepped back, immediately embarrassed.

"Oh gosh, I'm so so sorry-"

"This guy bothering you, Sam?" The familiar voice of Billy rung through as he held his cousins shoulders.

"Oh, Billy" Sam mumbled, quickly wiping her tears before he could use them against her. "No, he's not bothering me" she lied.

"Better keep it that way" Billy nodded before he scowled at Steve.

Sam watched Billy walk away and took a second to regain herself. Almost forgetting Steve was there until he took Billy's spot in front of her.

"Sam! I'm sorry that I ditched you last night, I'm so so sorry! It's just- things came up with Nancy and I had to-"

"Nancy?!" Sam scoffed, looking Steve in the eyes, "you literally ditched me, broke tradition, for a girl you've known a year? Go away, Harrington" she scowled, trying to push past him.

Steve felt his heart shatter into a thousand pieces when he saw how sad Sam was. She had evidentially been crying and for once, she didn't pretend she was happy.

"Let me explain myself" Steve begged.

"Let me go" Sam pleaded, feeling her false hard exterior fail on her, "just let me go"

As if on time, the bell for first class rang and Sam took it as her chance to slip her hand from Steve's-despite how much it hurt- and head to her class. Leaving Steve stood there watching her. He groaned as he ran a hand through his hair, kicking the nearby bin in the process.