thirteen

SAM WALKED INTO THE DINER

SAM WALKED INTO THE DINER. HER HEAD HELD HIGH AND PREPARED TO LISTEN TO WHATEVER STEVE NEEDED TO SAY.

She told herself she wasn't going to forgive him straight away. She needed to prove herself wrong and be strong.

She saw Steve almost immediately. He was tucked away in their normal booth in the back corner. Steve saw her walking in and was in awe at how perfectly beautiful she looked.

She slid into the booth and cleared her throat, she noticed Steve had ordered a chocolate milkshake for her and it was sat waiting.

"Thanks" she mumbled quietly.

"No problem, foods on the way" he smiled.

"What was it you needed to tell me?" Sam frowned as she cut straight to the chase sipping on her milkshake.

Steve was almost surprised she had remembered he had to tell her he loved her. Part of him was hoping she wouldn't mention it, he feared it would push her away even more. But he so wished she would say it back, and this whole issue would be blown over.

"Okay" Steve exhaled, "firstly, I want to apologise for-for being such an asshat the other night. What I said wasn't true and I just got so mad at Nancy for speaking about us like she was and- I'm sorry, okay?"

"Steve, I thought we had been best friends for ten years. You got so angry and spoke about me like I was nothing to you, you humiliated me in front of everyone I know" Sam scoffed, "I thought our friendship meant more to you than that"

"It does, Sam! It does. It wasn't true what I said, you are and always will be my best friend. I just got angry and said the wrong thing. I'm sorry" he sighed.

They both stopped the conversation when the waitress came over with their burgers, thanking her quietly, Steve took a bite of his food.

"I forgive you, Steve" Sam mumbled quietly.

Steve's shoulder immediately relaxed and he exhaled quietly, "you do?! Thank you, Sam. It really means a lot"

Sam smiled slightly, hesitating on what she was about to say.

"I know Nancy still likes you, Steve. She got what she wanted when she heard you the other night and you made it so clear that you still like her. I'm not stopping you from being with her, okay? I'm going to take a step back from...us, and let you two be together. It won't work if I'm in the picture too" Sam nodded quietly, "...I can't be your friend while I watch you move on"

Steve was incredibly confused at what Sam was talking about. Neither he or Nancy wanted to be together. She had happily moved on to Jonathan and he was hopefully going to be with his favourite girl.

"What? Sam, I-I think you're getting confused. Nancy and I don't like each other. We don't want to be together, okay?" He sighed, "There's this other girl that I like...that I love"

Sam could practically feel her heart shatter at his words, just as she was about to admit how she felt he completely twisted her world upside down, again.

"I-I gotta go" Sam mumbled quickly as she stood up, grabbing her bag as she rushed out.

Steve quickly placed $20 on the table and rushed after her. He caught her just as she was about to reach her car.

"Sam, wait!" Steve yelled as he screeched his feet to a halt.

"I can't, Steve!" Sam blabbered as she turned around, throwing her arms up in defeat.

"You can't?" Steve frowned.

"I love you, Steve!" Sam yelled, "and I can't sit here and listen to you move on when I've been in love with you for ten years" she admitted, "Our friendship isn't going to work anymore. I dealt with it for so long and I pushed my feelings away for us, for our friendship. But I can't do it anymore. I have to go" she nodded, not even looking Steve's way as she climbed into her car.

Steve watched helplessly as Sam reversed her car and drove off. He was in shock that she was in love with him too.

"I love you" he muttered as he watched her car drive away.