fourteen

SAM PULLED UP TO SCHOOL, TURNING TO HER COUSIN

"What if he doesn't ask me to dance? We all know Billy could've scared him enough to avoid me for life" Max sighed as they both stepped out of her car.

"Max" Sam chuckled as she placed a hand on her cousins shoulder, "he's gonna ask you to dance"

"Okay" Max exhaled nervously, "and you're gonna be here when it finishes?"

Sam nodded, "I'll be right here"

"Miss Mayfield?"

The two girls turned at the sound of their teacher.

"I thought you said you couldn't volunteer?" She frowned.

"Sam? How did you get here so fast?" The two girls turn their head again at the sound of Steve, whom was arriving with Dustin, "Can I speak to you?"

Sam could feel the sweat rising in her palms and her breathing go slightly unsteady. She had seen Steve literally a mere forty minutes ago at the diner. She had literally just admitted her love for him.

"Sorry, I Uh, I gotta go help" Sam nodded as she walked into the school ball with Max and Dustin.

The brunette handed out small cups of punch to the younger school kids, whom were dancing along to their favourite songs. Sam could only stand and reminisce on how peaceful it was to be that age. She anxiously counted down the minutes until the dance was over. Steve insisted he waited until the ball was over and he'd speak to Sam. Nancy on the other hand, was helping with the dance too, but couldn't help glancing between the two lovers.

The final song came on and Sam smiled to herself when she saw Lucas ask Max to dance. Slowly, everyone got into pairs and started slow dancing. Sam sighed when she saw Dustin her rejected by almost all the girls, and sit at the bleachers.

She made her way to the younger boy and stuck her hand out, "care to dance?" She smirked.

Dustin smiled a not so toothy grin as he stood up and made their way to the dance floor. He gently placed his hands on Sam's waist while she placed hers on his shoulder.

"What're you doing?" Dustin frowned.

Sam shrugged, "you're my favourite little dude. I can't stand and watch you get rejected"

"Thanks" Dustin smiles quickly, "I Uh, heard what happened with Steve. Is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"That you confessed you love him"

Sam tutted, "yep. I did say that"

"You know he loves you too, right?"

"No he doesn't, Dustin. It was made pretty clear" Sam sighs.

"Oh really? Then why has he been waiting an hour just to speak to you? That other girl he said he loves? Yeah, that was you" Dustin rolls his eyes.

"He's been waiting because he's taking you home, no?" Sam mumbled, trying to find excuses.

Sam was speechless, she quickly looked up and glanced to Steve whom was sat on the bleachers. He was smiling at his two closest friends dancing together. He was in awe at how perfect Sam was, regardless of the situation.

The minute Sam confessed her love to Steve he wanted to kiss her and hold her close, never letting her go. He wanted to yell for joy and scream from the rooftops that the girl he loves, loves him back. But he couldn't, because she didn't know he loved her.

Sam and Dustin got caught off guard by the sound of a microphone feedback. The entire hall stopped dancing and they stared at the stage, where Steve was stood shielding his eyes from the spotlight.

"What's he doing?" Sam sighed.

"Uh, is this thing on?" He frowned as he tapped the microphone, causing everyone to groan in annoyance at the loud sound.

"It's on, Steve!" Dustin yelled.

"Thanks man" Steve nodded.

Steve cleared his throat and hesitated for a few seconds, anxious on what he was going to say.

"Sam Mayfield" he announced. Everyone turned to look at Sam and she shielded her eyes from the piercing white bulb of spotlight, "that's her. Sam and I have been best friends for ten years. We first met when we were seven, Sam had recently moved house and our moms knew each other. My mom begged me to hang out with Sam, keep her company. So, on the 3rd October 1974, we met. Immediately, I fell for her. Seven year old Steve was completely in awe at how goddamn beautiful she was. We spent so much time together my mom actually fought me to stay in the house" he chuckles slightly at the memory, "Anyway, me liking her when I was seven developed into me having a crush on her at twelve" he stopped for a few seconds, watching his favourite girl like it was only the two of them in the room, "and then I fell in love with her" he admits, "and I've loved you for so long and I'm so glad I can finally tell you. It was always about you" He smiles.

Everyone erupts in 'awe's' and Sam hides the blush in her cheeks when everyone stares at her. She glances at Dustin, Will, El, Lucas, Max and Mike whom are grinning from ear to ear.

"Go to him!" Dustin whisper-yells.

Steve steps down from the stage and slowly, the two make their way to each other at the centre of the dance floor. The music turns back on and the younger students turn back to their partners as they dance.

Steve places his hands on Sam's waist and she smirks at him as she hooks her arms around his neck.

"What am I gonna do with you, Steve Harrington?"

Steve smirks as they lay their foreheads on each other's, "we're just gonna have to wait and see"

Their lips collide and both of them radiate at the energy between the two. It had been what they waited for for ten years.

And it was so worth the wait.