eight

THEY ALL SAT IN THE BUS, WAITING FOR WHAT FELT LIKE YEARS

"Are you sure these things are real?" Max sighed as she pulled her legs up to her knees.

"They are, I can assure you" Sam smiled, "it's all a little crazy but, you get used to it"

"I'm gonna go help Lucas on lookout" She smiled to herself as she climbed up the ladder.

Sam watched her cousin for a few seconds and then realised she was left alone with Dustin and Steve. She glanced at the two boys, whom were already watching her, and walked to the other end of the bus.

In all honesty, the last thing Sam wanted to do at this moment in time was to speak to Steve. He knew she was slightly disappointed but he couldn't think why. Sam was snapped out of her thoughts when Steve sat beside her.

"You okay?" He quizzed.

"I'm fine" she nodded, "why wouldn't I be?"

Steve shrugged, looking ahead, "no reason"

They both sat drowning in the awkward tension until Steve sighed to himself, turning back to the girl he loves.

"It's just-just you've been acting like you're all angry ever since we spoke about Nancy earlier on. What's the deal with that, Sam?"

"There's no deal with it!" Sam groaned, "I'm fine"

"Well, when you say it like that it just doesn't make me believe you" Steve shrugged.

Sam almost couldn't believe the words she was going to let fall out of her mouth, "Steve, for the past ten year I've always-"

"Demogorgon! 3'o'clock!" Lucas screeched.

Everyone jumped up and Steve glanced at Sam, wondering what she was going to say, but there were more pressing issues to attend too.

"No! No it won't come over here" Lucas groaned to himself more than anyone else.

"I'll go sort it out" Steve stated as he grabbed his bat.

"What? No you won't. That thing could kill you!" Sam screeched as she jumped in front of the door.

"Sam, I'm gonna be fine. You wait here" He reassured as they pressed their foreheads against each other.

"Steve , don't-"

"Sam, I'm gonna be fine. Don't follow me out" he smiles softly as he pressed his lips to her forehead.

They all watched in angst as Steve braved the demogorgons. He whipped his bat about and immediately got the demogorgons attention. And then another, and another, until he was surrounded.

"Steve, get your ass back in here! I don't wanna lose you just yet" Sam wailed half heartedly.

They all made collective, 'oh my god' when Steve had to jump over a car bonnet in order to avoid his fate with the demogorgon. Everyone ushered him inside and he didn't hesitate to jump in, shutting the door just in time.

Steve lay on the floor panting for his breath back while his feet were stopping the demogorgons from breaking in.

"Are you okay?!" Sam gasped as she collapsed onto the floor and hugged her best friend.

"I'm okay-I'm Okay" Steve panted as he hugged her again.

"You're such an asshole, never scare me like that again" she scolded.

The two were completely unaware they had three smaller children watching their ordeal take place. Max knew her cousin too well, she knew her well enough to know that she loved Steve.

"And you're trying to tell me they aren't in a relationship??" Max scoffed.

"I know, I know" Dustin sighed.

Sam and Steve pulled away from their hug and the kids earned a collective 'shut up'.

"Uh, guys" Lucas panicked, watching the ceiling.

They all moved closer to each other when they heard the sound of pounding footsteps nearly piercing the ceiling.

"They're gonna come through the ceiling" Max panicked as she rushed to her cousins side, whom both Sam and Steve pushed behind them.

The piercing sounds suddenly came to a halt as they heard the demogorgon jump off the roof. They all rushed to the window to watch and frowned when they saw them all running away.

"Get that! Assholes!" Dustin yelled.

"They're leaving?" Lucas frowned.

"No" Sam sighed, "They're being called back"

"Back? Back where?" Max frowned.

"There's only one way to find out" Steve shrugged.