Chapter Ten - The Music Box

All I wanted to do was explain and have him understand but I couldn't seem to form a single word, I felt muted. He stood abruptly and I scrambled to my feet. "How could you do this to me? At least all the countless women who tried to rope me in, force a relationship on me and make me love them in the past were above tricking me into getting them pregnant." My heart shattered and the force from his words pushed the air out of my lungs, Allowing me to finally breath. My mind was quiet and my eyes only searching his, how could he even think that? He stepped closer to me and gripped my upper arms, his nails dug achingly into my flesh but I didn't even flinch because my mind was currently only able to do one thing. Repeat his words over and over again.

He leaned closer stopping when his nose was pressed against mine, I could smell the sickening stench of the Bacardi on his breath and I turned my face away. "Disgust? That's what I am feeling for you right now. You knew that this was only sex from the start! You knew that I didn't want a relationship!" He squeezed tighter with one hand and released the other only to clasp my chin and force me to look at him. All I saw was anger, pain and hate. It felt like I was dying, drowning in our ocean of emotions.

"Was it the money? The status? What do want Charlie? My knees caved but I didn't hit the floor because Aaron's painful grip on my arms held me up. "What did you plan to get from this Charlie?" He shook me vigorously and I found myself questioning the man I had begun to fall for.

He released me causing me to travel backwards a few steps and then stagger to stabilise. "Hahahah! I thought that I was the player... Turns out you're the Queen of all players Miss Reed. If I didn't hate you so much right now I might just admire you. You acted so damn innocent, you played me with ease, you're a fucking master mind and this was your master stroke!" He pointed to my stomach like it was an offending object, he doesn't know you at all...I wiped away the stream of tears on my cheek and placed a hand over his glass, he widened his eyes and they were dripping with resentment wrapped in pain.

"Stop hurting yourself Aaron..." I whispered, I was afraid that if I increased my volume I would choke up. Even though this man had only hate for me and our child in his eyes I still couldn't stand to see him in pain. I slipped the glass from his hand and placed it on the table, "I didn't plan this Aaron. I didn't plan to fall for a man who doesn't believe in love or any relationship for that matter. I wasn't living any delusion either, I knew that sooner or later this...we would end-"

"Then why did you do this damn it?" I looked at him in horror.

"I didn't do this on purpose Aaron and I don't have some kind of ulterior motive-Hah!" The Bacardi bottle shattered around my ankle and he gripped my arms again.

"Bullshit! Everyone always has an ulterior motive. And yours is money, no wonder why you're so protective of the Campbell's, it's because their fucking loaded! And now you're going to use this to make me give you money too. Well you can have it Charlie! You can have it all but you will never have me." I clasped his wrist and dug my nails into his skin, I slid his hand off my arm and he loosened his grip on my other arm. I took a step back and a shard of glass bit into my skin. I closed my eyes from the pain and took another step back where another piece of glass tore into my flesh.

"I don't want your money Aaron... I don't have, an ulterior motive...None of this was a game to me. I knew that I would fall for you and I knew that my heart would end up getting shattered..." I placed my hands over my stomach, "I'm not, nor was I ever going to expect anything from you. I just thought you had a right to know. I won't force you to take responsibility or make you be a part of our lives because as far as I'm concerned; this...this is my child. Only mine!" My tears were streaming uncontrollably but I made no effort to hide my agony in the hopes that I could catch a glimpse of humility behind his stone cold gaze.