Chapter Twenty Two - Broken Promises

"Charlie honey you look magnificent" Martha and Bill approached us with holy shit! Their arms locked together, I blinked once or maybe twice to make sure my eyes weren't playing a trick on me.

"And you guys look...in love" they smiled knowingly while nodding in unison. Aaron released me and I gave them both a hug.

"Thank you for the gift young man even though it was quite extravagant" what did he get them?

"That's nothing compared to my wife's little surprise" his addressing me as his wife sent a shiver through me and I felt nervous. What if they didn't like my gift now, it looked like Aaron had bought them the perfect present. "Trust me my gift means nothing compared to what yours does" he whispered it into my ear. I took the small box out of my purse and placed it into Martha's palm.

"Um I don't know if you'll like it or not but it...would mean a lot to me if you took it, it was my grand mothers and I never had the chance to meet her. I'm glad I had the chance to meet you, I always had this image of how she would be and you match that image." She opened the box and a smile crossed her lips as her eyes widened.

"It's beautiful honey but I...I can't take this, it's too much and it means something to you" I closed my hand over it.

"It would mean more to me to know you had it. I just don't want you to forget me" she pulled me into a tight hug and holy shit was the women strong. "So I take it you like it?" She giggled before releasing me.

"I love it. And you were right young man, nothing can compare to this" I smiled and Aaron put his arm around me. "Go on, go eat, dance, have a good time, we'll see you later."

"Happy?" I made a show of thinking and he spun me to face him, "happy?" He seemed serious, like he genuinly needed me to be.

"Verry" he let out a breath and pulled me towards the dance floor, "uh...dancing?"

"That's the idea when you come to a ball room sweetheart." One of his hands found my lower back and another intertwined with one of mine. I brought my free hand to his shoulder and he began to sway us, ironically the song play was sway by Michael Boubley.

"Thanks for the dress."

"Oh I'd didn't do it for you" he shrugged his shoulder nonchalantly.

"Is that so. Then who did you do it for?"

"Myself of course" he stated simply, "I wanted to see you in it and then have the pleasure of tearing it off you. You see I'm a very selfish person Miss Reed" I let my forehead fall into his chest so I could get a grip on my laughter.

"Since when are you so cheesy Mr. Arrogant?"

"Since I met the girl that makes me want to be cheesy" I lifted my face to meet his and he was simply watching me, drinking me in even.

"You might have to thank this girl for coming into your life then because cheesy lines suit you Mr. Quinn."

"Thank you" I looked at him confused, "for coming into my life and making me cheesy" my heart began to throb like crazy and my entire body went on alert. He was different, not the same Aaron Tyler Quinn, someone more. He brought his lips to mine and kissed me, it wasn't soft or hard but it was the most intimate thing we had ever done. That one kiss made everything stop, my lips went numb and my heart began to beat hard threatening to burst out of my chest. In that moment I realised what the unreadable expression he would look at me with was.

I had seen it several times before but I knew he himself didn't understand it or maybe believe it until now. It was love, he loved me! Aaron Tyler Quinn loved me! I pulled away and looked in his eyes and I saw it, I had seen it since the day he saved my life in front of Quinn Industries, he was shaking with fear of loosing me but I didn't believe it.