00 | mission gone wrong

HIS MISSION HAD been so simple; he had no idea how he let everything get so screwed up

HIS MISSION HAD been so simple; he had no idea how he let everything get so screwed up. It was a simple trade; how did that escalade to a massacre? He had no idea, but that still didn't wipe the blood from his hands since he was also one of those who pulled the trigger.

Sure, he wasn't the first one to do so – his brother took credit for that – but he still let his finger caress that particularly sensitive spot of the death machine he kept secure in the waistband of his pants. The gun burnt his skin, the feeling making him want to take it out of there and throw it out of the window but, that was evidence to a murder. One that can be easily linked to his family if he wasn't careful.

His brother didn't feel the same as him though since a few chuckles seemed to escape his lips as he drove through the empty dark streets of their home. Italy had its beauty but if you paid attention to just the right spots at the right time, you would be able to see all the darkness it tried to hide every single day.

And Lorenzo's family was part of that darkness.

The Castellos were notorious around the whole country, one of the wealthiest families Italy has ever known but they never went with the law. Drug dealing, illegal trades, financial crimes, you name it. They were always there. But that wasn't the reason why they were the most known mob in their country. They were known for eliminating every threat around them, no one dared to cross them because no one ever made it out alive – never.

But sometimes Lorenzo believed that his family was bloodthirsty – killing people for no apparent reason.

And that very day showed him how right he was. While they were discussing the plan with their father, they never said anything about killing those men and getting back the money they offered them in exchange for the expensive diamond they were selling them. His brother took the gun out of his waistband and started shooting before anyone could even blink. There had been a crazy glint in his eyes that scared Lorenzo – the boy was barely eighteen, how could he do something like that?

Being older than him by nine whole years, Lorenzo was supposed to be the one in charge. And his orders to his brother and guards were simple; do the exchange, get back in the car as quickly as possible and shoot only if necessary. It seemed like Pietro had forgotten what that word even meant. The desire to hit him across the face was stronger than ever before, that day.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" He asked, his breathing coming out ragged as the adrenaline was still pumping inside his veins. His head was leant against the car's seat, his eyes almost falling behind his head as he tried to control his breathing and himself – he really wanted to hit his brother in the face at that very moment.

"What do you mean, fratello? I did whatever you told me to do! This was your fucking plan after all," His brother, Pietro, mumbled as he took a sharp turn that had Lorenzo scowling at him again. He tried telling himself that he was just a teenager and that was why he was acting impulsively but being a teenager didn't justify the fact that he murdered five men back there.