One Year

Clarke was looking around her cell for a new place to draw. Oh, how she wished she had some paper, though it was scarce on the Ark, her father always found a way to get some for her. It was probably because her father was the chief mechanic and her mother was the head doctor and a councilwoman. Now, these days being locked in the Sky-Box, she only has the walls and floor, and the chalk her mother brought to her the one time she visited within the past year.

On the Ark, every crime, no matter how small, was punishable by death, unless, of course, you were under eighteen. Juvenile offenders get locked up until they turn eighteen, then their case is reevaluated, to see if they should live, but they mostly end up getting floated. That's the way of execution, you are put into a small chamber, then the door behind you is opened, and then, you are sucked out into space.

She looked to the floor and sighed, then knelt and began drawing the night sky, with mountains and trees, and the moon. She smiled at the thought of maybe one day seeing them for real, instead of from re-runs of old t.v shows and movies. She took a deep breath. As she was finishing the drawing, the door to her cell flew open.

"Prisoner 319, face the wall." A male guard said.

"What is this?" She asked standing up.

"Quiet. Hold out your right arm." Another guard said.

"I don't turn eighteen for another month." She spoke, as she moved to the wall.

"Take off your watch." The first guard ordered.

"No! It was my fathers." She argued.

When the guard advanced towards her she panicked and pushed them into each other and ran out of her cell.

"GO!" One guard yelled to the other.

"Clarke! Wait!" A female voice called from behind her.

Clarke turned around. "Mom!" She cried, then hugged her. "What's going on!?" She asked looking around, seeing all of the other prisoners being released from their cells.

"They're killing us all, aren't they? Reducing population to make more time for the rest of you?" Clarke asked, sobbing.

"Clarke, listen, you aren't being executed." Her mother, Abby explained.

"What? Then what's going on?"

"You're being sent to the ground. All one-hundred of you."

"What? But it's not safe down there! No! No!" Clarke started panicking again. "We get reviewed at eighteen!"

"The rules have changed. This gives you a chance to live. Your instincts will tell you to take care of everybody, before yourself, just like your father. But you have to be careful. Okay? I can't lose you too. I love you more than anything." Abby spoke looking her daughter in the eyes.

"But..." Clarke was interrupted by a small needle being shot in her back, she quickly fainted into her arms.

"Earth, Clarke. You get to go to Earth." Abby said slowly moving to the floor, with Clarke still in her arms.

=============================================================================

Clarke slowly came to, looking around and seeing bored teenagers, strapped into seats, mumbling about things.

"Welcome back." A male voice said to her left.

"Wha...? Wells?! What the hell are you doing here?" She asked the African American teenager next to her.

"When I found out that they were sending the prisoners to the ground, I got myself arrested. I came for you." He explained.

Clarke didn't know what to think. This boy she thought she could count on, betrayed her. And now he was telling her he came to protect her. She was shocked beyond words.