• 01 •

.▪.═══════════════╗
CHAPTER ONE
ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍ

═══════════════╗CHAPTER ONE• ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍ •

╚═══════════════.▪.╝

The bubbles you're releasing blur your view. You struggle to swim up for air, but it's as if something's holding you down.

Your eyes shot open and you sit up as you struggle to catch your breath. You hold onto you throat that feels as dry as a desert.

This has been happening multiple times a week. It's always the same dream and when you wake up your throat is dry.

You get up and walk to the kitchen. You grab a water bottle from the fridge and down it, the cool liquid refreshing you.

The kitchen lights turn on and you turn to see your mother with a tennis racket.

"Damn it, Y/N!" She lowers the racket. "You scared me!"

"I'm sorry," You apologize. "I just had a nightmare and was awfully thirsty."

Your mother sets the racket down on the island table and walks towards the dinner table. She sits on a chair and motions for you to sit.

"What was it about?" She asks once you're sitting.

"I'm drowning and I can't swim up. Something is holding me down, but it not a person." You think about the dream and try to explain it. "It sounds weird, but... it's like the water is holding me down. I'm not in a river or rushing waters. I'm somewhere completely still, so it doesn't make sense how I can't swim up."

Your mother swallows harshly, "How many times have you had these dreams?"

"It's been three times, maybe?" You give her an unsure answer.

"Do you think it means anything?"

You chuckle, "Maybe just that I'm gonna die by drowning."

"That isn't funny, Y/N. Don't joke like that." Your mother says sternly. "Do you see anything else?"

"Most of the time I'm breathing out in panic and the bubbles that leave my mouth clutters my sight, but there was this one time I saw a glowing trident."

"A trident?"

You nod.

"How long has this been going on?"