Chapter 2

(Adrien's POV)
"Adrien," Plagg's worried voice says, "You should tell someone about this. This isn't okay"

I shake my head, "I already lost Mom. I don't want to lose Father, too. Even if he doesn't love me, he's all I have left"

I breathe, "Besides, nobody would care. They'll just think I'm looking for attention"

Plagg looks down, "What if he beats you to death? I don't want to lose you"

"I hope he does," I say, "You'll find another Chat Noir when that day comes"

~The Next Day~
I apply some makeup to the gash on my cheek. Hopefully it's not noticeable.

"Adrien," Nathalie knocks on my bedroom door, "Are you awake? School starts in ten minutes"

I grab my schoolbag and Plagg flies into my jacket.

"Coming!"

I run out the front door and into the backseat of the car. As the car moves, I look out the window and watch as the buildings roll by. Most people hate school, but I love going to school. It's a place where I get to be with my friends.

~

The car stops in front of the school and I step out.

(Marinette's POV)
"Look! There's Adrien!" Alya points to the blonde boy in the distance, "Go talk to him!"

She shoves me in his direction, making me stumble before realizing he's right in front of me.

I quickly stand up straight, "Uh- Hi, Adrien"

He gives me his signature smile, "Good morning, Marinette"

I look down and notice that his wrists were covered in bandages. I wanted to ask him about it, but Nino came in.

"Hey man," the tan boy says, "Let's get to class"

Adrien nods and says goodbye to me before heading to class.

Adrien seemed a bit off today. I wonder if there's something bothering him?

~

I got into the classroom and sat in my usual spot behind Adrien. Madame was talking about a partner project.

"Marinette!" She called, "Your partner will be Adrien"

My cheeks become red. Adrien?!

Adrien turns around to face me, smiling. My face becomes even redder and butterflies fill my stomach. I'm working with Adrien?!

~After School~
(Adrien's POV)
"Hey, Marinette," I smile and walk up to my project partner, "Wanna work on the project?"

"Umm," she shyly moves her hair out of her face, "At your place?"

"I was actually thinking about your place," I say. I don't want to risk Father getting angry about me bringing a friend over.

"Okay, that works"

Phew.

We walk over to her house. She was shaking a bit. She always seems so nervous whenever she's around me. It's pretty cute, actually. But my heart belongs to Ladybug. Marinette's just a friend.

When we reached the bakery, the door was locked.

"Shoot," Marinette anxiously looks through her backpack, "I didn't bring my keys and it looks like my parents are out for the day"

She turns to me, "Looks like we need to go to your place then"

"Uhh..." Damn it, "Let me make a phone call first"

I take out my phone and dial Nathalie's number. She picks up within seconds.

"Hi Nathalie, can I bring a friend over? We need to work on a project together"

"Sure," she says calmly, "Your father won't be home for a couple hours"

"Great, thanks," I say and hang up, sighing with relief. I turn back to Marinette, "My house it is then"

~

"Wow! Your room is huge!" Marinette exclaims the second she steps into my room.

She notices the piano, "That's a really nice piano, too"

I smile and walk over to the piano, taking a seat. I guess I can play a quick piece. I put my hands on the keys when Marinette stops me.

"Wanna play a quick duet?"

I blink, "You play piano too?"

"Well, I'm not very good, but I can play a little bit"

Excited, I scoot over and let her sit down next to me.

"What piece?" I ask.

She thinks for a moment, "How about Beethoven Sonata in D, Op. 6? Do you know that piece?"

I nod, "I love that piece"

We place our hands on the piano and begin playing. My room was instantly filled with music. This is the first time I've ever played a duet with someone. It feels great.

When we finish the piece, we both take our hands off the piano.

I look at her and smile, "I've always wanted to play with other musicians, so thank you"

She looks down as her cheeks become rosy, "Y-yeah. That was fun"

"We should play duets together more often," I suggest, "You're actually not bad at piano. You can use a couple tweaks, but I'd say you're pretty good"

I look into her big, bluebell eyes. Now that I see them up close, it reminds me of a certain someone...

"Uh- Yeah- Thank you- Anyways, let's get working on the project," Marinette says, interrupting my thoughts.

~

"Thanks for coming, Marinette," I say and lead her out of my room, "Let's continue working on the project again another day"

Just as we reach the bottom of the stairs, the door opens and Father steps in. He notices Marinette and I freeze. She was only here for an hour! Wasn't he supposed to be gone longer?