Chapter 11

(Adrien's POV)
I go out to get some fresh air the next day. It's the weekend now, so I get the day to relax. I make my way to the park and sit down at the bench, watching some kids run around and play. I see some loving fathers and their son, cringing at the sight. If only my father was like that...

"Hi, Adrien!" A voice says behind me.

I turn and find Marinette standing there.

"Mind if I take a seat?" She asks.

I nod and scoot over to the right to let her sit.

"How's your day so far? It's a beautiful day, right?" I ask, hoping to start a conversation about something. Anything besides my suicide attempt.

"My day's pretty good so far," she says, "But can I-"

"Why was it good?" I cut her off. I knew exactly what she was about to say.

Part of me wants to tell her, but another part wants to avoid that conversation at all costs.

"Umm, because I got to relax at my place for a couple hours," she takes a breath, "Anyways, if you don't mind me asking, what led to your suicide attempt? Other than those angry citizens"

Shit. There it is.

"It's just," I take a deep breath, "My father. Let's just say he isn't exactly a loving father"

I clutch my left arm's sleeve. Should I show her my cuts?

Marinette noticed me clutching my sleeve.

"What about your arms?" She asks, "You don't usually roll your sleeves down"

"Don't worry about it. I just wanted to change my style a bit," I lied.

I could tell that Marinette knew I was lying.

"Adrien," she says quietly and lightly places her hand over mine, "Please let me see"

I sigh in defeat and roll my sleeve up, revealing my cuts. I didn't bother making eye contact with her. I just hope she won't ask to see my other arm, the one with burn scars from Father.

"Don't do this to yourself. Please," she whispers.

"It's okay," I say quietly, "I deserve this pain"

Marinette shakes her head, "Don't say that! Nobody deserves pain"

"I'm nothing. I'm just a burden to everyone around me," I roll my sleeve back down, "Everything would be better if I were dead. Nobody needs me, I know I'm not important"

"Adrien!" She stands up, looking down at me. Her voice was serious now, "We need you. Your friends need you. Paris needs you. Plagg needs you"

She takes my hand in hers, making me flinch a little bit at her touch.

Tears started forming in her eyes, "I NEED YOU!" she shouts.

My eyes widen in shock. Both at the fact that someone cares and because I've never heard her raise her voice before.

"You are important, Adrien," tears were rolling down her cheek at this point, "You're my friend, and I don't want to lose you"

She wipes her tears away and takes a deep breath. She opens her arms, making me flinch and cover my face.

"It's okay," she says softly and lowers my hands, "I just want to hug you"

I stand up and wrap my arms around her. Her head lands on my shoulder and I feel her warm breath through my shirt. This was oddly comforting. Is this what a real hug feels like?

She pulls away and looks into my eyes, still standing close to me.

"Promise me you'll stop cutting yourself, and that you won't try to kill yourself again," she says, holding her pinky up.

I wrap my pinky around hers. My lips form a small smile as a small tear trickles down my face, "I promise"

Someone finally saw behind the mask. Somebody cares.