Chapter 4

(Marinette's POV)
I, once again, found myself tripping over my words when talking to Adrien the next morning.

Adrien just laughed at my mistakes and smiled. But something was off: his lips smiled, but his eyes didn't. His laugh sounded rather forced. His usual bright green eyes were dark and dead. He still had bandages around his wrists. His voice was... Dull.

Wait a minute... Someone else I know seemed off recently, too... Dead green eyes, emotionless voice...

Nah, Adrien can't be Chat Noir. He doesn't seem like the flirty type.

"Well, see you in class," Adrien says and turns away.

"Wait!"

Before he starts walking, I gently grab his wrist. A small grunt of pain escapes his lips and I immediately let go.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"It's fine, don't worry about it," he puts his hands in his pockets, "Did you need something?"

"Umm..."

Are you okay? Is what I wanted to say, but my lips said something else, "Wanna go in a practice room during lunch and play another duet?"

He smiles, "Sure!"

Then he walks away. His smile faded as soon as he thought I couldn't see his face anymore. I caught a glimpse of a blank face before he fully turned away.

~Lunchtime~

I walked over to a practice room and noticed Adrien was already in there. He saw me through the little window on the door and let me inside. He shut the door and we both sat down at the piano.

"What piece this time?" He asks.

I take a moment to think, "Tchaikovsky Sleeping Beauty Waltz?"

He nods and we put our hands on the piano.

"Oh, before we start," he begins.

He puts his hands on mine and adjusts my hand posture, making me blush. I look at him, realizing how close our faces were. I could smell his cologne as his eyes meet mine.

"Curve and relax your fingers a little more, and straighten your wrist," he advises.

He takes his hands off of mine and returns to his spot.

"Ready?" He asks.

I nod and we begin playing the piece.

We stopped in the middle of the piece when we heard a loud noise somewhere in the school. We both stand up and run outside, finding an akumatized victim in the middle of the school.

"Marinette! Take cover!" Adrien shouts and runs off, disappearing around a corner.

I go into the bathroom and Tikki pops out of my purse.

"Marinette! There's an akuma attack!"

I nod, "Tikki, spots on!"

~

I run outside to see Chat Noir already fighting the akuma. The akuma, named Prodigy, had a flute in her hands.

"M'lady! You're here!" Chat Noir exclaims, "I think the akuma's in the flute"

"Cataclysm!" Chat Noir makes an attempt to run towards the akuma.

"Wait! We need a plan" I immediately grab his non-cataclysm wrist and pull him back. He let's out a pain-filled yelp and I let go of his wrist.

"I'm sorry, did I grab your wrist too hard? I ask.

"No, don't worry about it," he says calmly.

"We'll talk about that later. Lucky Charm!" I throw my yo-yo in the air and summon some earplugs. Not knowing what else to do with them, I put them on, drowning out the noise around me.

Prodigy blows into her flute, pushing me back a bit at the force of the sound waves. I look over at Chat Noir, who seems to have fallen asleep. Looks like whoever hears her flute falls asleep. Guess it's up to me to defeat the akuma then.

Prodigy walks up to the sleeping Chat Noir, reaching down for his miraculous. I throw my yo-yo around her body and pull her away from him.

"Not today," I say, though I didn't hear my own voice.

Suddenly, the flute extended into the length of a long staff. Prodigy lunges for me and I jump to the side, dodging her attack. Her flute was out in front of her so I took the opportunity to throw my yo-yo around it and take it away.

I tried to break it, but it was stronger than expected. How exactly do you break a flute?

Just then, I realize Chat Noir still hasn't used his cataclysm. I walk up to him and touch his hand with the flute, letting the akuma out. I catch the akuma in my yo-yo and let the white butterfly fly away. I take my earplugs out. I was about to throw them in the air when I hear Chat Noir screaming in his sleep.

"No! Father, please don't! No more!"

Chat Noir?

"I KNOW I'M WORTHLESS! I WISH I WERE DEAD AS MUCH AS YOU DO! YOU THINK YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE GRIEVING OVER MOM'S DEATH?!"

My eyes widen with surprise and concern. What could he be going through in his civilian life?