Chapter 3

(Adrien's POV)
"Oh hello," my father says and walks up to Marinette, "Are you a friend of Adrien's?"

"Yeah, I'm Marinette," she says, shaking my father's hand, "We were working on a project together"

"I see," Father nods.

"I suppose I better take my leave," the bluenette says.

I watch as Marinette makes her way out of the house.

Father doesn't say anything to me and walks away. I was lucky that he was sober. He's only a monster when he's drunk. But even sober, he's still pretty cold. Funny thing, he tries to act like a (somewhat) lovable father during the daytime when Nathalie and Gorilla are here. But when they leave, that's when he shows his abusive side. If I did try to tell Nathalie or Gorilla about what he does to me, I know they wouldn't believe me. Same goes for everyone else. That's why I hide behind a mask. But I wish someone would look past my smile and see that... I'm broken.

~

I was in the kitchen getting myself a glass of water when suddenly,

"ADRIEN!!!"

My body tenses up. Noticing that my hand was shaking, I put the glass down to avoid dropping it. I wanted to run up to my room and lock myself in the bathroom, but I was frozen in fear. Plus it was too late. My father had already stepped into the kitchen. He had a bottle of wine in his hand.

"What are you doing here?" His grumpy voice asks.

"I was j-just getting a... Glass of... Water," I say, trembling.

My father takes a step towards me. I step back. He kept on walking. With every step he took, I kept backing away until my back hit the wall. My father was standing right in front of me.

"So you got thirsty?"

I nod, still trembling with fear.

"I'll give you something to drink," he smirks.

My eyes widen and I try to run away, but his hand grips my wrist tightly. A small scream escapes my mouth as he squeezes my burned wrist. He throws me back against the wall. He grabs my shirt collar and looks at my threateningly.

"Don't ever try to run away again, you little shit," he growls.

Next thing I knew, he brings the wine bottle to my mouth. I tried to fight back, but it was no use. He tipped the bottle and its contents were poured down my throat. I gagged from the horrendous taste, nearly choking as he proceeded to empty the bottle. Once it was empty, my father let me go. I was coughing from the wine that had been forced down my throat.

"We're not done yet," my father's evil voice says.

"Father, please stop" I beg, starting to get a headache.

He starts hitting my back with the empty bottle. My scream of pain was cut off when he covered my mouth. He continued hitting me as my screams were muted by his hand, tears forming in my eyes. My head was a dizzy mess thanks to the alcohol. And from my father's words echoing in my ear.

"You're so pathetic, useless, worthless, and a disappointment! You never should have been born in the first place! I hope you die, you little piece of shit!"

I know I'm pathetic. I know I'm worthless and nothing but a waste of space. I'm just a burden to everyone. I want to die just as much as he wants me to.

Finally, after one last hit, he threw me on the floor and dismissed me to my room.

I stood up and limped to my room as quickly as I can, still feeling dizzy from the alcohol in my system. As soon as I shut the door, I fell to the floor and everything went black.

~Two Hours Later~
I woke up on the floor of my bedroom, my head pounding.

"Adrien, are you okay?" Plagg asks.

I nod and stand up. I look at the clock and realize what time it is. I quickly run to the bathroom and splash my face with cold water.

"What happened this time?" Plagg asks, "Your back was bleeding so I had to patch it up"

"Let's not worry about it right now," I respond, "I have to patrol the city with Ladybug. Plagg, claws out!"

(Marinette's POV)
That kitty is running late. Where could he be?

Just then, I heard a voice behind me.

"Sorry to keep you waiting"

I turn to face Chat Noir, "No worries"

"No trouble yet?" Chat Noir asks and leans against the railing.

I shake my head. I eye my partner, concerned. He seems off. His usual sparkling green eyes are dull. His voice sounded dead and he didn't call me "m'lady" when he approached me. He hasn't flirted with me, either. I also noticed a gash on his cheek. Curiously, I step closer to him.

"Hey, Chat. What happened to your cheek?"

He looked shocked, "Nothing. It was just from the last akuma attack"

I could hear a lie in his voice, but I decided not to force him to tell me the truth. I'll uncover the truth another day.

(Adrien's POV)
Shit. I forgot to reapply makeup after washing my face.

I wanted to tell her the truth. That I'm broken. That I'm depressed and I get abused by my father in my civilian life. But I couldn't bring myself to tell her.

Someone, please... Just look behind my smile.