Chapter 14

(Adrien's POV)
I woke up on the floor of the "torture room" with a sore body. I try to push myself off the floor, but grunt as pain spreads through my body. Ignoring the pain, I push myself all the way off the floor and lean against the wall for balance.

I look around the room. Did Father just leave me here?

I limp my way out of the room, holding on to nearby walls and objects to keep my balance. Judging from the pain, Father gave me a pretty bad beating, even though he was sober.

I slowly made my way up the stairs until I finally reached my room.

Plagg flies up to me, "Adrien, are you okay?"

I nod, "Just got a worse beating than usual"

I walk over to the bathroom and lock the door, taking my shirt off to look at the wounds. I was filled with shock when I realize there were A LOT more bruises than I remembered. Father only uses his stick when he's sober. When he's drunk, he uses things like whips, lighters, knives (only on really bad days), and basically anything that can hurt.

A thousand questions are running through my head. Why is my father like this? Doesn't he know that I'm also grieving over Mom's death? Why is he, Hawkmoth, always terrorizing Paris? Why does he have to be my enemy? Why is he after my miraculous? How will I tell Ladybug? Should I even tell her?

I put my shirt back on. I was about to walk out when my hands reach into the drawer and take out the knife. I held it to my arm, hands trembling.

Just a few cuts... I deserve it.

Marinette's voice echoed in my head.

Promise me you'll stop cutting yourself.

I dig the knife slightly into my skin, her voice still in my head.

You are important, Adrien.

I'm not important. All I am is a burden. I'm a disappointment to everyone. I'm weak. I deserve to die. Nobody would care if I were gone.

I dig the knife deeper into my skin, feeling the tip of the blade pierce through my skin.

Nobody needs me...

I NEED YOU!

My hands are shaking all over the place at this point. I take a deep breath, close my eyes, and take the knife off my arm, letting it drop to the floor. I can't do it. I made a promise to Marinette.

I roll my sleeves down and walk out of the bathroom. Right as I step out, my phone rings and Marinette's name appears on the screen.

I answer and hold the phone to my ear before sitting down on the couch, "Hello?"

"Hi, Adrien," her voice greeted on the other end, "Just checking up on you. Are you doing okay?"

"Yeah," I sigh, "I kind of got another beating from my father, but it's alright"

"Oh no, I'm sorry! It's my fault!" Her voice is filled with guilt, "I'm the one who invited you ov-"

"Marinette," I cut her off, "Don't blame yourself. Truth is, I didn't actually ask my father if I can come over because... Well, reasons that I don't want to talk about"

Marinette doesn't need to know. This is something only Ladybug and I should know... If I even decide to tell her.

"Are you okay, though?" She asks.

"Yeah. I was a bit sore earlier, but it's good now," I say, "Also, I have a question..."

I take a deep breath, "Why am I so important? I'm just a normal human being, and there are seven billion people in the world"

"Well, you're a living being. Every person is important in their own ways," she begins, "And sure, there are billions of people in the world, but there's only one you. ONE. Maybe there's some long-lost twin or a doppelganger out there, but that's not you"

"Adrien," she continues, "You're unique. You matter. You're important. And besides, you're Chat Noir! You're literally a superhero!"

"But couldn't someone else have been chosen to be Chat Noir?"

"You were chosen for a reason," Marinette says, "I'm sure there was a good reason for you to be Chat Noir. Don't ever doubt your worth or feel like you're nothing, okay?"

I smile, my lips trembling, "Thank you. I gotta go"

"Okay! I'll see you at school tomorrow then," I can hear a smile through her voice, "Remember, I'm here if you need someone to talk to. Bye!"

"Bye"

I hang up and put my phone on the table. Tears begin to run down my face as my entire body shakes. Plagg grabs a tissue box for me and I thank him through my tears.

Nobody has ever said those words to me. Nobody has told me that I matter. Nobody has ever cared so much about me. What did I do to deserve such a kind person like Marinette in my life?