Chapter 16

(Marinette's POV)
"ADRIEN!!!"

Adrien tenses up when he hears his name in an angry voice. His green are filled with fear and his entire body is shaking so much, it's like he's gonna explode.

His father stepped into the living room, his eyes red from drinking. He had a whip in his hand. Adrien's father pushed me to the side and confronted Adrien.

"You brought a friend over?!" His father asks angrily.

Adrien nods, "Y-yes Father"

"Without asking me first?!"

Adrien looks down, "I-I'm sorry Father, I-"

The whip lashes across Adrien's body, cutting him off as a scream escapes his throat. Adrien's father whips him continuously, his screams echoing in the room. Adrien then falls to the ground.

(Adrien's POV)
I lay there on the floor, shaking in pain and fear with tears in my eyes. What the hell is my father doing here? I thought he was gonna be gone all day!

Father stands above me, "This'll teach you not to disobey me again"

He raises his whip. I cover my face and brace myself until I hear Marinette's voice,

"STOP!"

I lower my hand and see that she grabbed my father's arm. She had tears in her eyes.

"No parent should ever treat their child like that! Can't you see all the pain you-"

She was cut off when Father grabbed her by her shirt collar, lifting her off her feet. She was struggling to break free from his grasp.

"Shut up, you annoying girl!" Father shouts, "This is between Adrien and I. Stay out of it!"

Father raises his whip. Marinette saw this and her bluebell eyes widened with fear.

"NO!!" I tackle my father, causing him to let go of Marinette.

Father throws me off of him and stands up, whip still in hand.

"You'll be getting a punishment for that!" He shouts.

"I know," I say fiercely, "You can tear my skin to shreds, light my skin on fire. You can beat me till I'm numb- to death, even"

I stand up and face my father, eyes filled with rage, "But for the love of god, DON'T LAY A FINGER ON HER!"

I saw the surprise in Marinette's eyes. It was the first time I've raised my voice at anybody. And I know what I'll be getting now, but I don't care. I'll protect Marinette.

(Marinette's POV)
"Marinette! Get out of here!" Adrien shouts.

I couldn't move. I was completely frozen.

Adrien's father continued whipping him as Adrien cried out in agony.

He looked at me again, "What are you waiting for?! Go somewhere sa-"

He was cut off by another scream. I could see tears pouring down his face.

I wanted to look away, but I couldn't. Tears were escaping my eyes as I covered my mouth. So much was happening at once and I couldn't process it. The boy I love is getting a beating, his father was shouting at him during the beating, and Adrien's screams were ringing in my ear.

His father stopped whipping him and brought out a knife.

I wanted to try and stop his father again, but my legs wouldn't budge.

His father pulled him up by his shirt collar, "You stupid little shit! You should know better than to talk to me like that!"

Adrien didn't bother struggling to escape.

A smile formed on his face, "And you should know better than to hurt one of my friends"

Adrien's father growled.

It wasn't before long when police sirens sounded outside. We all froze and Adrien's father let go of him, dropping the knife.

Seconds later, police officers came into the house.

"Gabriel Agreste, you're under arrest. Ignore the rhyme because this is serious," a police officer said.

The police officers handcuffed Adrien's father, taking him away.

"Adrien!" I run over to the injured blonde boy on the floor.

"Marinette," he said weakly.

I help him sit up and he sat with his back against the wall.

Medics came in not long after. Luckily, the injuries weren't too serious, so they were able to patch him up right there.

(Adrien's POV)
"Are you okay?" Marinette asks.

"Yeah, I'm good," I say while grunting.

A police officer approached us, "Adrien Agreste?"

I nod.

"I'm afraid your father will have to spend the next twelve years in prison," the officer explains.

I look down in sadness.

"And because your mother passed away, you will have to-"

"I'll take care of him"

Nathalie stepped into view, "I've pretty much been the one watching over him, anyways"

The officer nods, "Very well then"

Marinette helps me stand up and I give Nathalie a hug, surprising her.

"Thank you, Nathalie"

Nathalie hugs me back.

I may not have my biological parents anymore, but honestly, Nathalie has always been like a mother figure to me. She watched over me when my father was "too busy" for me. Too busy terrorizing Paris, that is. I'm glad I have Nathalie so I don't have to be sent to an orphanage.