Chapter 8

(Marinette's POV)
I kneel down next to Adrien's body. His eyes were closed, but I could see his body twitching. A couple moments later, he starts to cough up water.

Just then, my detransformation comes and Tikki quickly hides in my purse.

Adrien opens his eyes and sees me as he sits up, "Marinette?"

I nod, tears forming in my eyes, "Don't ever do that again"

"Adrien!" Plagg runs up to his owner with tears and puts the ring in his hand, giving his arm a hug.

Adrien puts his ring on and lightly pats Plagg's head, "I'm sorry, buddy"

Adrien looks around, "Where's Ladybug? I thought I felt her yo-yo"

"She left because she had an emergency," I answer.

"Wait," Adrien's eyes widen at a sudden realization.

I gulp. Did he figure out that I'm Ladybug? I'm not ready to reveal my identity yet! Especially now knowing that Adrien is Chat Noir!

"Plagg, why aren't you hiding?" He turns to his kwami, "I thought nobody's supposed to see you"

I sigh in relief.

"Don't worry," his kwami says, "We can trust Marinette. She's a friend, right?"

"It's okay. I won't tell anyone that you're Chat Noir," I smile, "Just promise me you won't try to kill yourself again"

I could see tears forming in his eyes, "I'm sorry, Marinette"

I scoot closer to him and he falls into my arms, surprising me.

"I'm sorry," he says through tears, "I've failed as a superhero. I've disappointed everyone. I hate myself so much"

I stay silent and rub his back comfortingly.

I wanted to ask what's happening in his civilian life that caused his suicide attempt, but I know now is not a good time.

After a couple minutes, Adrien breaks the hug and stands up, wiping his tears.

"We should go back to class," he says.

I nod and stand up too, "I agree. I think Chemistry is over at this point"

"Speaking of class," Adrien starts, "Why aren't you in class at the moment?"

"Well..." I think for a second, "I was going to the bathroom and suddenly, I got caught in the akuma attack!"

He laughs, "Alright, let's get going then...
Right after I go home and change into new clothes because I'm soaking," he turns to his kwami, "Plagg, claws out!"

Chat Noir turns to me, "Wait for me so we can be late to class together"

I giggle and nod before watching my crime-fighting partner take off.