Chapter 18

(Marinette's POV)
I sat in my room after school that night, sketching a new design. Surprisingly, there hasn't been an akuma attack all day. It's almost time to patrol the city with Adrien/Chat Noir, too. Normally an akuma attack happens everyday. I'm not saying it's bad that there's no akuma today (it's great, actually. I wasn't late to class for once), it just feels off because I'm so used to fighting them everyday. I hope Hawkmoth isn't plotting something...

When I finish my design, I close my sketchbook and stand up. It's time to patrol.

"Are you gonna reveal your identity tonight?" Tikki asks.

I shake my head, "I'm still not ready. However, I'll show him that he actually does have a chance with me"

"I have no idea what you're saying, but alright"

I smile, "Tikki, spots on!"

~

I swing to the top of the Eiffel Tower, Chat Noir arriving just seconds later.

"Hello, m'lady," he greets, "Funny how there was no akuma attack today, am I right?"

I nod and sit down. He sits down next to me. I could tell he was still down.

"Are you alright?" I ask, trying to hide the fact that I'm Marinette.

Chat Noir takes a deep breath, "I haven't told you yet, have I?"

I shake my head.

"Long story short," he begins, "My mom died a year ago and since then, my father was abusing me. He went to prison last night"

"Oh, I'm sorry"

"It's okay, though. I have people who will help me through this"

He stands up, "Anyways, let's get on with patrol"

I stand up and we make our way through the city, swinging and jumping over buildings for anything unusual.

(Adrien's POV)
As expected, there wasn't anything unusual in the city. But I mean, it's still good to check just in case. Plus I get to be with Ladybug. Due to the fact that there's no more Hawkmoth, I may not see her during the daytime anymore.

Ladybug and I make our way back to the Eiffel Tower, where we usually sit and talk for a bit before heading our separate ways after patrol.

"It's getting late and I have school tomorrow," I say and stand up, "Nice to see you again, as always, m'lady"

"Chat Noir, wait!"

I was about to take off when Ladybug takes hold of my hand, making my face heat up. Suddenly, she gives me a kiss on the cheek. I look at her in shock.

"I'm so glad you're my partner," she says and smiles.

I smile back, "Me too"

And with that, I make my way to my house. I enter through the window and detransform. I plop down on my bed, smiling. Maybe I do have a chance with her after all.

(Nathalie's POV)
Don't worry, Mr. Agreste. I'll try to get Ladybug and Chat Noir's miraculouses for you and bring Emilie back.

I walk over to the secret compartment where Mr. Agreste keeps the butterfly and peacock miraculouses. I unlock it, only to find that they were missing.

What happened to them? I know for sure Mr. Agreste didn't take them with him to prison.

Suddenly, I heard a woosh behind me and a shadow flew out of the room. I step out to see someone in a dark, hooded cloak running away. I run after them.

I eventually turned a corner and they were trapped by a dead end.

"Give them back," I say, stepping closer.

"Why? I'm only taking back what's mine," a soft female voice says.

The figure turns around and faces me. My eyes are filled with surprise when I see the person in front of me. My entire body tenses up. I recognized this face from a couple portraits in the mansion... Blonde hair, green eyes... How could this be?

"Emilie Agreste?"

~The End~

AN: I'm working on book two, so stay tuned! For those who don't know, I finish my stories offline before posting them online, so it may take a while for book two to come out. But thank you so much for reading my fanfic. I lowkey hate myself for putting Adrien through all that, but I hope you enjoyed it :)

Update: book two is now published!