Prologue: Overture of Shattered Dreams (Mahouko)

I have a question for you - do you think magic is real?

Sometimes, I feel like it is.

After years of wishing, dreaming, hoping that I would be chosen, I finally made it. My wishes were answered, my dreams came true, my hopes were reality. To be chosen to explore this renown, magical, but abandoned castle... I had never thought I would see the day where I would be stepping foot into such a mystical place.

Ryujin Castle.

It was a place where the most powerful of ancient mages had resided years in the past. Occasionally but rarely, schools from all over the country send a couple of students to go on a sort of immersion trip to tour and explore it. It's such an ancient and mystical structure that it's an honor to go, and I've been dreaming to go all my life.

In order to get accepted, you must have some sort of talent that is recognizable by the people who organize the event. Usually, these talents range through several fields - from the arts to sports to even titles. Only sixteen students are chosen to go at a time, but somehow...

Oh, that's right. I should introduce myself. I'm Mahouko Houseki, and the talent I was given was the Ultimate Magic Student. I didn't quite understand it at first, but apparently it meant that I was really knowledgeable in magic, myths, and other things relating to that topic, but I'm not an actual magician. I'm just... your average nerd, but with magic, I guess.

When I received the letter from the Ryujin Castle administration team, I... wasn't sure how to feel. Nobody actually appreciated me for liking magic... everyone just thought I was delusional. They told me to "grow up". However... I guess now I can't hide from that, huh?

Somehow, this the title I was given, and that was how I ended up at the entrance to Ryujin Castle...

I stared up at the tall stone brick towers and sighed. Well... this is it. My first day as the Ultimate Magic Student begins today.

I took a deep breath and stepped into the castle walls.

However, the moment I did... the whole world faded to black.

* * *

When I came to... I realized I was in an unfamiliar room.

I was lying in bed, as though I had slept there the previous night. However, I don't remember ever going in...

Either I've encountered a memory-loss spell, or I'm just having some weird dreams. I doubt the former would ever be true, so... I guess it's the latter. But... what even happened?

Brushing those thoughts aside, I got up shakily and observed my surroundings. The most notable thing I noticed was the security camera in the corner of the room, along with the monitor at the front. It was kind of unnerving, but I guess tight security is needed in an ancient magic castle as this... Aside from that, however, the room seemed rather cozy, almost like a dorm or hotel room.

Then, I noticed a piece of paper that was placed on the desk by the wall of the room. I picked it up and read it.

"Welcome to Ryujin Castle! All students must make their way to the throne room by 8am for the opening ceremony or they will receive punishment. Directions below:"

Under it were directions to the throne room.

I looked at the clock. The time was 7:59am.

...huh?

"Crap, I'm gonna be late!" I exclaimed, grabbing the paper and running out of the bedroom.

Quickly, I followed the directions as shown on the map and finally came across the double doors clearly marked "throne room". Stopping to catch my breath, I opened the doors...