13

After breakfast, Maddie went to her room with Teddy. She walked in and flopped on her bed. Teddy lied down next to her and she looked around.
"Everything is so big here" Maddie says to herself. She rolls over stares at the ceiling. She doesn't realize how long it's been until she hears a knock on the door. She sits up and looks at the clock '12:32'.
"Come in" Maddie says. Clint walks in.
"Hi. Um I was making a sandwich and was wondering if maybe you wanted one?" Clint asks. "Are you sure?" Maddie asks shyly. "Of course" Clint responds. "Okay um yes please then." She stands up and follows him out of the room. They make their way to the kitchen. Maddie sits at the island and Clint starts to take out food.
"So what do you like on your sandwich?" Clint asks. "What do you have?" Maddie responds quietly. "Basically everything." " Do you have ham?" "Yes" "Can I have a ham sandwich?" "Yes" Clint makes her sandwich and hands it to her, receiving a quiet 'thank you' back. He makes his own and then sits down across from Maddie.
"So what's it like being Peter's sister?" Clint asks.
"I don't know. It's weird sometimes cause we're the same age and stuff and you know he's Spider-Man. So yeah. I love him though." Clint smiles.
"Is he a lot of work? He seems like a lot of work." "Yes. He needs attention." "Sounds like Peter" Maddie and Clint continue to make small take for ten minutes and Maddie gets more comfortable not being as shy around him. Peter walks in with a boy(Josh) next to him. Clint notices but Maddie doesn't see. "Hey Maddie" Josh says he looks worried. Clint sees her eyes light up when she hears his voice. But not in a romantic way. She turns around and runs and hugs him. She starts to cry a little, breaking when she sees him. He hugs her back holding her head in his chest.
"It's gonna be okay." Josh whispers to Maddie. Josh looks up at Clint. "Woah! Your Hawkeye! I'm Josh" Maddie lets go of him and laughs. "Hi! You can call me Clint" "Okay!" Josh responds.
"Maddie how about you show Josh your room." Peter asks. "Good idea" She responds. They leave and Peter walks over and takes Maddie's seat.
"So their close? Clint asks. "Very close. He's the only one she will really talk to and tell what's wrong since my Uncle. I think it's a good thing he came. That way she's not holding everything in."
"She just broke when she saw him." Clint responds. "I think she was trying to deny everything but when she saw him she couldn't." "I'm happy she has a good friend. She's very shy. She needs someone to talk to." Clint says. "I just wish she would talk to other people that way she would have more then one friend." "Sometimes all you need is one good friend to be happy. Maybe she doesn't feel the need to have another friend." "I guess" Peter responds. "How are you doing?" Clint asks Peter. "Ok. I miss her." "I'm here to talk if you need." "Thanks"
Peter leaves, leaving Clint alone with time to think. (What he thinks about) 'It's so sad. First their parents, then their uncle, and then their aunt. At least they have each other. But she's so shy, she won't even talk to Peter about how she feels and they seem very close. Only her friend who she is really close with. Natasha had told Clint about everything that happened at the apartment. The video and how close she was with her uncle. The only thing he didn't know was why Maddie was in the hospital in the video. Natasha said she didn't know, but Clint could tell she was lying. He felt bad for Peter, but he still had Tony and Pepper who he stayed with a lot and thought of as parents. To Maddie she is living with a bunch of strangers. Clint was drawn to Maddie the second he met her. He didn't know why, but he knew he would do whatever it took to make her comfortable, make sure she knows she has a family, and he told himself he would do whatever it took and more to protect her, like she was his own daughter. He knew she was Tony's, but he could still be there.