beautiful magic and a sad beautiful tragic love affair

hi im sorry these chapters are all sad i keep listening to sad music by the quEENS taylor swift and carrie underwood (yes i use their lyrics in this and yes i named this chapter after a taylor swift song you cant s t o p me) so every 30 seconds i want to make it sadder and sadder and i cant even consult opal about it bc she doesnt want spoilers. k ill stop rambling im sorry. 

Steve sat in the chair, a nervous wreck. He was sitting next to Bucky in the hospital who was lying in bed. He held Bucky's hand, tracing the veins in, not able to look at his face. He didn't even know how to processes what had happened. Did he cause it? Of course, he did. What else had changed in Bucky's life that could have caused this? He knew this was hard on Bucky and it was hard on Steve too but he didn't know it was this bad. He couldn't believe he had done this. (aw fucc i cant believe youve done this) 

His Bucky. His everything. He wished he could fix everything. Just go back in time and not even go to this dumb house in the first place. He wished he could forget everything that had ever happened and just run away with Bucky. He didn't care about anything else, just as long as he had Bucky. Even if it wasn't romantic.  

"Mr. Rogers?" the nurse asked sweetly, lightly knocking on the door and walking into the room. Steve briefly wiped away his tears and tried to pull himself together. 

"Yes Ma'am, that's me," Steve said, standing up and shaking the nurse's hand. 

"It says here you're Mr. Barnes's emergency contact. Is that correct?" Steve didn't know. Bucky had never mentioned putting Steve as his emergency contact but he guessed it made sense. Bucky didn't know anyone else well enough to put them. Maybe Sam, but he and Steve were closer and Bucky would die before he would let Sam know that he was his emergency contact, which defeats the point of an emergency contact. 

"Um, yeah, I guess," Steve said, still a bit puzzled. Tony was still his emergency contact, he never bothered to change it. He would have put Bucky but he was under the impression Bucky was dead at the time of filling it out and would be a bit useless had the situation arose. He would have to change it when Bucky woke up. Yes, when. In Steve's head, Bucky was going to wake up any moment now.

"Okay, well, Mr. Barnes-" 

"Bucky," Steve interrupted. The nurse looked back at him puzzled. (this poor damn nurse)

"Oh, sorry, forgive me for interrupting. He just hates it when people refer to him as anything other than Bucky. (Unless it was Steve) He made me promise not to let anyone do it if he... wasn't around... God, I hope I don't have to do it for long. Jesus, how did this even happen?" Steve asked rhetorically, trying not to break down again. 

"Oh, well, I'm going to be his regular nurse," the nurse started, trying to ignore Steve's unstableness, "I can tell you if you want. How this happened, I mean. It might be hard to hear if you two are close."

"Please," Steve gestured for her to go on, running his hand through his hair.

"He overdosed. He had been excessively drinking for about three weeks too, so he was quite dehydrated. When he took the drugs and mixed it with alcohol, it put him to sleep. He was unconscious too long while under the influence, he slipped into a coma," the nurse kindly explained.

"So-s... so you're, you're saying I could have stopped this?" Steve studdered out, putting his left elbow in his right hand and rubbing the bottom half of his face. He couldn't believe this was happening to him, it had to be a dream. His Buck was in a coma, it was his fault, and he could have stopped it. He only went into Bucky's room because he missed him again. He was probably just going to complain about Tony being a little bitch and Bucky would tell him he was worth more than that and that they should break up.