PEPPERMINT RAIN

*in mocking commercial or car salesman voice* are we going to ignore the fact that we havent uploaded in months? are we telling ourselves were going to write, edit and post this chapter in one sitting? are we actually going to do it bc were self destructive? do we really want a bagel with that strawberry cream cheese from our deepest memories of third grade? ooh and some thicc chocolate milk? are we saying we bc it feels less lonely? if we said yes to all of these questions we are going to apologize for rambling k bye love yall sorry its been a hot minute also this is the last chapter ill do another one next summer

"He thinks I'm in love with you."

"Are you?" Bucky's heart felt like it was going to burst out of his body. His stomach was doing flips and he felt light-headed. He knew Steve would dance around the question no matter the answer. "It's okay if you are..."

"How did you know Tony said that?" Steve cut him off, trying desperately to change the subject, not hearing the latter part, as Bucky had mumbled in a state of fear and uncertainty. 

 "So, sometimes when people go into a coma they can't move or blink or anything but they can still hear. It's like being trapped in your shell-"

"Shell?" Steve questioned the strange metaphor. 

"Yeah. . . like 'shell of a man.'"

". . . okay, sure." Steve agreed. Pick your battles. 

"It's like being trapped in your shell and you can't do anything. For example, I could still feel everything. I know that you would sometimes sing to me and you would cling onto my arm like you would fall off the earth if you didn't. I know you and Tony were about to have an argument but Katherine kicked you guys out before you could. I know Practical Magic showed up with Peter." By this point Steve had gone a deep shade of embarrassment red, thanking the gods for the atmosphere only being illuminated by the soft yellow lights. 

"Why didn't you say something sooner?" Steve asked. 

"I didn't want to scare you. You would have freaked out."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Thanks."

"Sure."

". . ."

". . ."

". . ." 

"My question still stands." Bucky pushed out quietly. 

"Which one?"

"Are you in love with me?"

"Do you want me to be?"

"I don't know. You always seem busy with someone."

What does that mean? 

"Fuck," Steve swore quietly, slightly at his own stupidity and partly at the water falling on them as if started to rain. He couldn't believe how much he had played with Bucky's emotions. He didn't deserve that. What did he fuck up? How did he do it so badly? The sky had suddenly opened up. They both scrambled to stand up and get back inside but something inside him made Bucky stop. He was done. No more games. Love is patience, not cowardism. Fuck this. 

Peppermint.

He tasted like Peppermint. 

Bucky's lips on his. Soft and flavored of Peppermint. 

The taste was prominent with the rain washing down their faces. 

Steve reached down and grabbed Bucky's face, holding him impossibly closer. Bucky had his arms twisted around Steve's neck trying to keep him close. Both of them terrified of what would happen when they pulled away. So they stood in the rain, procrastinating pulling away.

Is it out of pity? Does he know? Oh my God iS THIS REAL? All questions running through both of their heads. 

Eventually, Bucky pulled back and Steve let out a whimper, trying to chase his lips as Bucky retreated. Bucky laughed at his desperateness and smiled at the man in front of him. His shirt stuck to his body and water running out of his hair, over his shoulders and soaking them both completely. 

"I love you," Bucky gasped out. He was done hiding. Let it all be known, he didn't care he had to do everything in his power to never let this moment fade. He needed to kiss Steve again. He needed to kiss him every day until the end of time. "I'm in love with you, Steve." 

"Buck, oh my God. I love you too. So much. For so long honey." Steve smiled, resting his forehead against Bucky's. Bucky smiled and pulled him in for another kiss. 

"Let's run," Bucky burst out with fire in his eyes.

"What?"

"Let's leave. Let's run away. Leave the house, go back home."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay."

"You're with me?" 

"Til the end of the line." Steve pulled Bucky in for another kiss, holding his hips tightly and never letting go. 

thats it. its over. i did it. whoo. ill do another one over the summer because i get so fucking bored but damn its hard to write during school. sorry this is trashy and the worst thing youve ever read but whatever you read it its youre fault just as its mine. til morrow.