6

I sat up and looked around. I stretched and stood up and went to my bag. I grabbed a sweater and some pants. I threw the sweater on over my tank top and changed out it of my shorts and into a pair of leggings. Luckily Ben hadn't came out of the bathroom while I was changing. I heard a knock on his door and panicked. He swung open his bathroom door with no shirt on but a pair of pants. He motioned me to go into the bathroom so I rushed into it and closed the door.

"One moment please," Ben said.

"It's just me," his mom said.

I heard his door open and close again.

"I was just getting changed," he said.

"I came to talk to you about the Cotillion."

"What about it?"

"You're going with the new VK, right?"

"Yes Mom, I'm going with Jackie."

"I just want you to know that I support you. I also want to say that you need to be careful."

"Thank you. I know, but I know Jackie would never do anything to hurt me."

"Don't be to sure. Mal and I have been talking an-"

"Mom, please. Trust me. Mal and Jackie have a past."

"But what is their past? What did she do?"

"Mother."

"I know, I know. Ok, have a good day. Also, do you have any laundry you need washed?"

I heard footsteps approaching the door. I panicked and looked around for a place to hide. I noticed a closet and went into it and hid the the corner hidden from the door.

"No! Um... I only have a little I'll bring it out later."

"You always forget I'll just grab it while I'm here."

I heard the door open. I heard Ben run over to the closet and his mom's footsteps stop. He made eye contact with me and his arms went behind me. I hurriedly moved and I kept my mouth shut. He pulled out his laundry basket and I shrunk back into the corner.

"Got it. I guess there was more than I thought," he said.

"I knew you had some. Your acting suspicious. Are your trying to hide something from me."

"No, mom. I'm not hiding anything I just need to shower still."

"Then why'd you change?"

Ben went silent and I heard his mom laugh.

"Ok, who's in here?" I heard his mom say.

"Mom, no one is in here."

"You're lying. I can tell when you're hiding something. Ok come on out. Whoever you are it's just Mrs. Beast."

I didn't hear anybody talking to I walked out and stuck my head out from the bathroom. I saw his mom looking under his bed.

"Mom, really no one's under there. I'm not hiding anyone."

"Maybe, they're in your closet then. Is that why you didn't want me going into the bathroom?"

I hurried and got into his shower behind the curtain. I heard his mom walked over to the closet and start moving stuff. I peaked my head out and Ben saw me. He waved me back in and I went back in.

"Where are they then. I'm sure you're trying to hide someone."

I heard footsteps approaching the shower and I panicked.

"Ok! Mom lets go! I'm really not hiding anyone."

"Just let me look one more place and if no one's there I'll believe you and I'll go."

I peaked my head out and Ben pushed hugged his mom so tight she wouldn't be able to see me skip past. I went back into his room and hid under his bed. His blankets were so long they draped over the side and to the floor. I heard his mom pull back the shower curtains quickly and I fist pumped under his bed.

"Ok, ok, I've been defeated. No one besides us is in here," his mom said.

"Thank you. Ok I'll see you at breakfast, love you."

"Love you too, Honey."

I heard his room door open and close again and I started to in wedge myself from his very low sitting bed. I coughed because of the dust and Ben hurriedly came to help me.

"What a long and horrible game of hide and seek," I joked.

Ben laughed and I dusted off my legs and arms

"There's so much dust under your bed," I said punching his shoulder.

"Well I didn't tell you to hide under there," he said.

"Did you want me to get caught!" I yelled at him.

He laughed and helped me off his floor. He pulled me up and hugged me.

"You have dust on your butt," he whispered into my ear.

I pushed off him and dusted off my butt.

"Why were you looking?" I asked with one eyebrow cocked.

"Hey I was just making sure you didn't have any more dust on you."

"Uh huh."

I pulled him closer to me and kissed his cheek.

"My ass is better than yours," I whispered into his ear.

"Yeah."

I punched his shoulder again and he grabbed my hand again holding it in his.

-

(p.o.v. - unknown)

I sat in my room looking out the window. I heard my father beginning to open the door.

"Hello my darling. Today you are 16, are you happy."

I went to him and hugged him tightly.

"Father! Yes. I'm excited."

"What would you like to do for your birthday this year? I would bring you your favorite from Uma, but sadly she's disappeared."

"I know what I want for my birthday this year. I want to go outside."

My father stood back surprised.

"No."

"But father-"

"No."

"Please."

"That's enough, Abigail!" He yelled.

"But father-"

"I said that's enough!"

I sunk into a corner of my room when my door slammed shut. I shouldn't have tried to ask. I went back to my door hoping my father would listen.

"I won't ask anymore. Instead will you bring me those flowers I love from the mountains?" I asked.