19

I woke up still in Ben's arms. I was facing him as his arms were wrapped around my torso holding me close to him. I jumped up to a knock at the door of Ben's bedroom. He got up and handed me a shirt. I put it on and sat up. I rubbed my eyes. It was Saturday, graduation was last week, I'd been catching up on sleep I needed. Ben opened the door and Evie busted in. She looked as though she'd been crying.

"Mal's gone. I woke up and she's gone. No note."

"Where have you looked?"

"Everywhere. I don't know where she'd be, but she always tells me where she's going. There's got to be something going on."

"Wait for word today. We'll figure it out," I said.

She nodded and left. I rubbed my temples. I felt the bed cave in beside me and Ben kissed my forehead. I leaned into his kiss and we got up. I showered and put on a green sweater and leggings. I put on grey Converse and we went to Ben's office. It was more both of our office, but Ben used it more than me. He sat at his desk and I moved to mine. Fairy godmother rushed in as soon as I sat down. I stood up.

"The scepter has been stolen," she blurted out.

"How? Who?"

"You have the camera footage," she pointed to Ben.

He pulled out his laptop and I walked over. They were hooded, but they looked back once and I could see the face clearly.

I covered my mouth to muffle my gasp.

"Mal," Ben said.

Fairy godmother covered her mouth.

"I have to tell Evie," I said rushing out.

I ran down the halls. I stopped at Evie's room. I knocked.

"Yes?" She opened it immediately.

"We know where she was, we don't know where she is now, but come with me."

We walked back together. We got there and Ben was talking to his parents.

"What's going on?" Evie asked.

"Evie, Mal stole the scepter," Ben said.

She shook her head refusing to believe what she was being told.

"She wouldn't. She'd changed."

"Evie where would she go?"

"I'm not sure. There's a birthday party for Jane soon, but Jane and Carlos... she wouldn't do anything."

"We've got to get down there, Evie stay here and let us know if she comes back," I said

Ben and I ran out to Ben's motorcycle and drove out to the enchanted lake. I was supposed to be going to this party soon. When we got there people had already started to arrive. Mal wasn't here. We had to get everyone out of here in case Mal was coming. People greeted Ben and I and we moved to find Carlos.

"Carlos! Have you seen Mal?" I asked.

He shook his head no.

"She stole the scepter we've got to get everyone back to shelter."

"She stole the scepter?" Carlos asked.

I nodded.

"I'm sorry Carlos, I know you guys were friends."

Ben got up on a boulder and yelled out for everyone to listen.

"There's been an emergency and we need everyone to take shelter in Auradon prep!"

Everyone started talking. I got up on the rock with him.

"We know this sounds strange but we'll explain when we get everyone back." I explained.

Everyone started moving.

"Aww, but the party's just starting!" Mal's voice boomed over us.

I looked over to see Mal with green eyes and dark purple hair. She wore an outfit I'd never seen before. All black, not Mal's style.

"I've got a present for everyone," she said.

"Mal, you don't have to do this," Ben said.

She waved her wand and everyone but Ben and I turned to stone.

"Oh Ben, you don't get stone. You could've had me. You could've had all of this! Oh but you wanted miss prissy over here. The one who tried to kill you! Hey, if you want dangerous I'll give you dangerous."

She smiled.

"And you miss fake. Daddy's little disappointment. You stole what was mine. You steal everything from me! You wanted him dead and now I want you dead. Oh! I've got just the thing," she laughed evilly.

She waved her wand and Ben fell to the ground screaming. She disappeared and I ran to Ben. His bones cracked and moved under his skin.

"Ben!" I yelled out.

I backed up as he grew hair and fangs. Oh no. He stood on his hind legs and howled. He looked to me and growled. I backed up feeling scared. I hit a tree and he got closer. He bit the air in front of me and I cowered. I was so scared I started crying and shaking. I squeezed my eyes closed still shaking. His paw hit my collarbones and I felt the sting. I cried harder. I heard him whine and water spray. I heard bones cracking again but still kept my eyes squeezed shut. I felt arms pull me and I opened my eyes to see Jane.

"What happened?" She asked.

"Mal."

I looked over to Ben standing on his feet with fangs and a beard. I shut my eyes again still scared.

"Jackie?" He asked.

I opened my eyes and he stepped closer. I saw a single long claw sticking out of his finger and closed my eyes getting scared again.

"What did I do?"

I felt Jane mess with my shirt around the scratch.

"Oh god that scratch is pretty bad."

"Jackie I'm so sorry," Ben said.

I opened my eyes and he stepped closer to me. His claw and fangs gone. He got closer and I stepped against the tree.

"Jackie are you ok?" He asked.

His fingers went to my shirt and moved the fabric from the scratches. He backed away in fear of himself.

"I'm so sorry Jackie. I didn't mean to."

I didn't know what to say. I was still kind scared. He pulled me into a hug and I tensed up.