27. New Life

I have to go to church today and as much as I love going there, I feel so sick today. My body was just aching all over from the second I woke up and I almost went back to sleep. I almost couldn't take a shower but I managed. My back is killing me and it feels like someone is pounding my body from all directions.

After putting on a cute, blue and black dress, I go downstairs to see my mother and father waiting for me. They notice my pained expression and furrow their eyebrows.

"What's wrong?" my father asks me.

"I don't know. My back is aching so badly."

My mom looks worried but my dad shakes his head.

"Are you sure you're not trying to escape church today?" he asks and I shake my head.

"No, I almost couldn't get out of bed."

My mother stands up and gently touches my belly.

"Does it hurt?" she asks me and I think.

"No mom, it's my back. I don't think this has anything to do with my belly. I probably just slept the wrong way." I tell her, to calm her down.

She looks at my father.

"Should we skip church?' she asks and I quickly shake my head. I didn't want anyone to miss church because of me.

"No, let's go. I'm fine, seriously." I assure them and they both nod.

"If it still hurts after church, we'll go to the hospital, okay?" my dad says and I nod.

* * *
"Hey, you're late today." Danny greets me as I sit next to him.

April and Tyler are also next to him, using their phones as we wait for Auntie Gifty. Lena is also here but she's sitting alone using her phone. The girls that she usually talks to are sitting on the other side of the room. If my back wasn't aching so bad, I would've been curious.

"Yeah, my back is killing me. My parents had to make sure I was okay." I tell him.

"Are you okay?" he asks and I wince in pain as he asks. Now if feels like I was just stabbed in the back.

Danny narrows his eyes at me, while April touches my forehead.

"Are you feeling hot? Because your body feels warm." she asks me, like a whole doctor.

I am kind of hot but that's only because it's hot today. I don't want to worry them during mass.

"No, I'm not hot. I think I slept the wrong way or something." I try to reassure them.

"I'll bring you water." Tyler says, before leaving to go to the vending machine. Bless that boy.

Danny rests his hand on my knee.

"Do you think you're about to--" he starts but I immediately shake my head.

"No, it's not time yet. It's only my back that hurts. My parents said that if it continues, they'll take me to the hospital after church."

He nods, sighing a breath of relief. April narrows her eyes at me but doesn't say anything. She's thinking about something.

Tyler enters the room again with a water bottle in his hand. He hands it to me and I smile, taking it from him.

"Thanks."

Auntie Gifty walks in and greets us all with a smile.

"Good morning Sunday school." she exclaims and we respond.

I wince again when I feel another stab in my back. I try to play it off because I don't want to worry anyone. I quickly take a sip of the water and hold Danny's hand. He squeezes my hand and I smile.