2.

ethan dolan

Irritation fuels my footsteps. I didn't know where I was headed, just somewhere that wasn't my apartment.

I need a way out of my thoughts.

That's why when I stumbled upon a worn down library, I went in without hesitation.

Books are my escape from reality.

I walk through the double doors and notice there wasn't a single person in the building. At least, that I could see.

I started walking through the aisles, the floors creaking as I went. I glided my fingers across the bindings of the books. It was comforting, it reminds me of home. I miss home.

One book stood out more than the rest, so I grab it.

I wasn't ready to leave the library quite yet though. I was still frustrated with my roommates.

I live in an apartment just a little off campus with my brother, Grayson, and two of our friends. Grayson and I met Wyatt and Chase during our freshmen year and just hit it off from the bat. That was two years ago.

Now the four of us are about to go into junior year. I'm dreading it. Being around superficial people that act like they want to get to know you, but in reality they don't.

They just want validation. They want to feel like they belong, even if they don't.

"Emma! Could you put these books back, please?" An older, gentle voice yells out. I look around to see who she's talking to and find no one.

"Coming!"

I whip my head towards the new voice and quickly notice a girl emerging from a ray of sunshine.

Or that's what it looked like.

It was fitting she materialized from sunlight. She looked like the human form of sunlight, radiating rays of confidence.

Without even realizing what my feet were doing, I head in the direction she came from.

A corner with pillows and blankets draped across a bean bag chair. The sun hitting it at the right angle, filling it with warmth.

I look back at the girl and saw her busy at work, organizing books on a ladder. She definitely wasn't coming back to this spot anytime soon. I knew it might be intruding, but  I didn't care in that moment. I sit down on the bean bag chair and settle in to the corner.

If I was going to cool off from my petty argument with my roommates, this is the one spot that I would be able to do so.

With a quick glance out the window, my eyes focus in on an older guy smiling at the sidewalk as he walks. I can't help but wonder what he could possibly be happy about.

Putting my thoughts aside, I open my book and immerse myself in it, leaving reality behind.

Before I know it, the sun is setting through the window, the warmth dwindling.

I close the book and force myself out of the comfort of the corner and start my walk back to my apartment. But not before I saw the same girl from earlier skipping around the bookshelves, humming to herself.

It's at that exact moment I decide to come back the same time tomorrow.

[shortish chapter but i had to set up the characters first :) let me know what you think i love u guys]