24.

emma chamberlain

"The place where it all started."

Shivers ran down my spine when Ethan grabbed my hand and said those words.

Street lights illuminated our path as Ethan walked ahead of me, my hand still in his, looking back every so often with a cheeky grin plastered on his face.

I was so distracted by this rare smile that I hadn't even noticed we stopped.

My eyes slowly moved away from Ethan and towards the massive ferris wheel in front of us.

I allowed myself to be engrossed by all the screams and laughs coming from the fair in front of us.

I looked over at Ethan. "The place where it all started, huh?" I smirked.

The bastard was still grinning from ear to ear.

I started taking mental pictures of this moment. The colorful lights reflecting against Ethan's smooth skin, the consistent pounding of my heart, and most of all, the euphoric feeling that was flooding my body.

It was one of those moments that you know you'll tell your grandkids about.

Maybe our grandkids?

Seeing Ethan being so carefree and happy is all I've ever wanted since the day I saw him on the bean bag chair in the library.

He was now the one taking me on an adventure.

He pulled me towards the ferris wheel, helping me get on the passenger car.

And just as the ride began to move, "I get it now." Ethan said randomly while looking out at the horizon.

My eyebrows scrunched, "Get what?"

"Why you're so in love with life, why you see the best in people, why you want adventure."

"And why's that?"

We were approaching the top of the ferris wheel.

Ethan's eyes were still fixated on the horizon, reminding me of the last time we were in this position.

Ethan grabbed onto the sides of the cart with white knuckles.

I then started to realize his other behaviors. Heavy breathing. Sweating.

He was scared of heights.

He wasn't scared anymore, or he was just hiding it very well.

"Because there's nothing to be afraid of." He turned his head to lock eyes with me, his hand gripping my thigh. I about gasped at his newfound confidence, it was a different change of pace that I was clearly enjoying.

And just as he finished, he brought his other hand up to cup my cheek and lean in. So fucking slowly.

His lips grazed mine. I could feel his hot breath on me.

I just about got too impatient and smashed our lips together. But, then he said something that made me weak in the knees.

"I don't think I've ever officially told you that I love you. And I'm not afraid."

With that, Ethan locked his lips with mine.

This kiss was different from all the rest. It sent a shock through my whole body, reaching all the way down to my toes.