Chapter One-Lance

Hello, Lovelies,

As promised, here is that first chapter.  I'm sorry it takes me so long to upload but I re-read it before I do.  

I do have some news.  If any of you are readers of Twisted Souls, I am editing that right now so if you re-read it, expect to find some minor differences.  Also, the sequel to that has started.  It's called Twisted Minds.  I also finished up Iced this week.  The Prologue and first chapter will be uploaded on Friday.  

I hope you enjoy this chapter.  If you do, please consider voting.  Comments are deeply appreciated.  If you have questions, comment or send me a message.  I try to answer them all.  

-XXXX Amanda  

**********

-Eight Years Later

I glanced around the ballroom taking in the reception of my best friends, Asher and Lena Courtland as a sense of loneliness moved through me. Their faces were glowing as they stared at each other, their love so obvious it reached out and hit me in the chest. Even so, I was happy for them. They were family to me even if neither were blood. Regardless of their DNA, they were as close to me as Gideon, the only blood family that mattered that I had left.

Still, that loneliness remained as my gaze moved around the room, landing on Becca, lingering there for longer than I liked before moving away to stare at the crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling. I hated that we had been hanging out so much lately because it was making me see things that I shouldn't.

"What's so interesting up there?" Her voice tinkled over me and I tried to pretend it wasn't as charming as it was. The problem was it wasn't just her voice. Becca was a knockout with long flowing blonde hair and big innocent blue eyes. It didn't help that the dress she wore hugged her curves just right.

My eyes lowered to her blue eyes a shade lighter than my own, sparkling with happiness for her friend but as always there was a deep-seeded sadness there too. Maybe she was thinking of Barrett, her fiancé who had committed suicide two years before. I knew she wasn't over it and never would be even if she had just begun to date again. Her most recent was the man she had been dancing with a few minutes before...A lawyer. There was something about him that I didn't like though he seemed perfectly polite. I inwardly cringed every time he spoke.

"The chandelier," I said, raising my brow when she grinned, showcasing perfect straight white teeth.

"I thought you would be looking for your next conquest," she said, smirking, "I thought you were supposed to be a playboy."

I sighed, dramatically, "I'm too tired for that. Asher was a groomzilla," I said, glancing past her at my best friend who was motioning for me to come to stand in the group of bachelors waiting for him to retrieve and then, catch the garter.

"Oh fuck no," I said, shaking my head, causing Becca to turn and laugh.

"Sorry," she said tucking her blonde hair behind her ear, "I was told to retrieve you and as my duty as Maiden of Honor, I kind of have to make sure the job is done."

"Oh, really?" I said, leaning forward and raising my brow, "And what will you give me if I do this, doll."

"Doll, really?" she asked, "That's the nickname you use to get women to hop into bed with you."

"No, I use these," I said, pointing at my dimples, enjoying the banter with her, "And a few other things."

She huffed, "Come on, Lance," She said, pouting, her eyes widening, "You're supposed to be the fun one. That's what Lena said."

"The fun, beautiful one," I corrected her, reaching forward and touching her bottom lip with my thumb, "But since you pouted, I guess I can do this little game just for you but the next time, it will take more than just pouting those pretty lips to get me to do your bidding."

Her mouth dropped open but I saw the flash of heat in her eyes before I turned to catch the garter I knew would be aimed at my face because Asher would think it was funny and his little minx of a bride would be cheering him on. I sighed, glancing one more time at Becca, wiggling my brows before making my way to the crowd of bachelors waiting for a flash of the bride's leg and a garter that wouldn't come their way.

***********

The reception was ending. The bride and groom had left for their honeymoon in the Bahamas to engage in sun and sex. That twinge of loneliness struck me again as I moved down the hallway spinning the garter on my forefinger. I was humming but the sound of a whispered argument, caused me to pause before taking a step closer.

"Who was he?" The man asked, causing me to frown as my mother's face flashed in front of me causing me to wince.

"You're hurting me," My eyes widened at the familiar sound of Becca's voice. I blinked, trying to push away the anger that her lawyer boyfriend had become rough with her but her squeak of pain, caused me to move around the corner.

Blinding hot rage caused me to see red as I found him with his body tight against hers and Becca pressed against the wall, his hand around her bicep with fingertips pressing into the skin. He raised his hand and I rushed toward him but not before I heard the resounding slap across her face. My punch caught him in the jaw causing him to let her go as I tackled him to the floor, swinging my fists so quick and fast that he couldn't fight me off.

"Lance!" Becca screamed but I didn't stop, "Lance!"

He had stopped moving beneath me, his eyes squeezed shut as he moaned in pain. I turned to her, hopping to my feet before taking her chin in my hand and examining the bruise already forming on her cheek.

"Are you alright?" I asked, unconcerned with anyone but her.

Her eyes moved to my busted open knuckles, her bottom lip trembling, "I-I'm okay," she said, the tears welling in her eyes and making me want to beat that fucker all over again, "T-Thank you."

The bastard moaned again, causing me to glance down at him, "You share a room with him?" I asked, my stomach churning because there was a chance she would want to go back with him.

She nodded, "But I don't want to," she said, her voice shaky.

"You can stay with me," I said, frowning because I had to add, "No strings attached. You'll be safe there."

She nodded as we moved past the man bleeding on the floor, "Just in case you didn't figure it out," Becca said, her voice trembling over the words, "Don't call me. Don't talk to me, Linc."

I put my arm around her shoulders and guided her to her room to get her things before taking her back to my room where she laid on the bed crying. My heart squeezed as I sat beside her and pulled her into my arms.

As she fell asleep, she gazed up at me with red-rimmed eyes, "Thank you, Lance," she whispered, softly, "You're a good friend."

I tried to hide my grimace as she placed me in the prison that no guy who liked a woman wanted to be placed in. I narrowed my eyes as I gazed at her, her eyes already drifting shut deciding in that moment that I was going to break out of that friend zone because no matter how much of an asshole I was in the past, I was still better than the one she had left downstairs.