Chapter Three-Lance

Hello, My Lovelies,  

Thank you so much to everyone who has been understanding about my health.  I do feel much better.  My eyes actually do not hurt today and my allergies do seem to be clearing up!  Thank you also for reading my books. I truly appreciate everyone.  For those who read Beautiful Darkness, I am working on a chapter I hope to be released today.  Also, my children are back in school so this is probably closer to the time I'll be releasing my chapters every day.  

Question asked: What music do you listen to?  It depends on the story but for this one, I have been listening to a lot of Secondhand Serenade.  

So, I'm going to ask a question because I realized I'm stuck on one band for this book.  What love songs do you like?  (I'm eclectic...I listen to everything from Opera to Death Metal) 

News: I will be starting a blog...I will be posting that link as soon as it's done.

I hope you like this chapter.  If you do, please let me know by voting.  Comments are deeply appreciated and have helped me immensely.  If you have questions, comment or leave a message.  I do read them all.  I do try to answer everything.  

-XXX Amanda

**********

I glanced at Becca, the worry was beginning to dissipate from her face. I wanted nothing more than to make her smile again. It made me wonder how much Linc had killed her happiness. It twisted my heart to think she had actually cared for the asshole.

"Becca," I said, softly, "I don't know how you feel about your break-up but I'm sorry this is happening to you."

Her brows raised and she gave a bitter laugh, "I didn't love him," she said, causing the pain in my heart to cease, "But I had hoped he would be nice to me and maybe it would grow into that. It gets lonely sometimes and I was tired of feeling that way."

I frowned because I knew exactly who she was thinking of, "I know you don't talk about Barrett," I whispered, hating to bring up something that gave her pain but I knew his death couldn't be avoided if I was going to figure out if pursuing her would hurt her worse or not. I needed to know she wasn't dating just to fill the loneliness, "But I realize it must be hard for you. I can understand that you were lonely especially after his death."

She shook her head, her eyes darkening with incredible sadness, "I want to talk about him but if I do, people wince or pretend they cared about him. I hate it. He would have hated it. Worse, those who pretend want to know the drama behind everything and it's not their business."

I nodded because I had witnessed the false mourning from people who didn't know him after his death. People who barely spoke to him, pretended they were close. It was sickening.

"I didn't know him," I said and then, sighed, "I mean I knew of him, but I didn't really know him. However, if you ever want to talk about him to anyone, you can talk to me but only if you really want to."

She nodded, "Thank you," she whispered, relief settling over her face.

"Can I ask you a question?" My stomach churned as she nodded, "Are you sure you are capable of moving on and are able to love someone else right now?"

She sighed, the sound filled with melancholy, "It's true if he was alive, I have no doubt I would be with him," she said, frowning, "But he won't the only man I ever love and I don't think he would want me to live like that. The problem is me."

I shook my head, confused, "What do you mean?"

"Linc told me I let myself go," She said glancing down at her body. Suddenly, I wanted to break a few bones in his face for daring to make Becca feel bad about herself, "I have gained a little weight and maybe I don't take care of myself like I used to. I mean...I was mourning. I wasn't paying attention to self-care. I was simply trying to get through the days."