Part 1

A young woman sat at her desk inside her decently sized office. She was pretty, she had brown hair pulled up into a neat bun, green eyes behind her glasses, a petite nose, and an egg-shaped face.  A picture of the woman smiling with a man and a computer were the only personal items on the desk she sat at. The room was absurdly clean and organized. All of the files were neatly stacked and seemed to be organized in a logical manner. The woman, though exhausted, still looked impeccable. Not a wrinkle was to be seen in her outfit and her hair was pinned back into a neat bun. 

The woman flipped through the files, typing something into the computer before turning back and picking up a new folder. This machine-like process continued until a handsome man with black short hair and brown eyes came in and added another file to the woman's collection.

"Emily Watt, 26, accused of murdering her boyfriend. I need this case closed before the press can do damage to her reputation, so work double time. Find anything, and I mean anything, we can use.  Report to me if there are any problems or if you find anything useful. No mistakes. I expect a full report on my desk by Tuesday."

"Yes, sir."

Satisfied, the handsome man left her office oozing confidence and arrogance. He didn't even bother to close the door behind him.

The woman sighed and took off her glasses and tiredly rubbed her eyes in circles. She stood up from her chair and stumbled a bit. She blindly reached her hand put for the wall and started to walk to close the door. Once the strenuous task was completed, she hobbled her way over to the safety of her chair.

Looks like I'll have to pull another all-nighter. What is it, the fourth one yet? At this rate, I'll drop before I can even turn in any of the work. The woman thought to herself.

Nevertheless, what could she do? All of her "colleagues" were Ivy League graduates. It was a miracle that she even got accepted into this law firm at all with a little above average college she went to. The facts remained however, that she got paid well and the working conditions were spectacular (if one did not include the lack of sleep), not to mention she even got her own office. Losing some sleep was a cheap price to pay.

One might ask why she put herself through this torture and why she didnt just put her foot down and take her weekends off like she was supposed to do. The answer to that was simple, she needed them more than they needed her. They could easily replace her, but she needed the income.

At the end of her day, there wasn't anyone who had her back but herself. Trent was a nice boyfriend, but he had his own problems to worry about. He'd told her so himself as well. The exhausted woman looked towards the daunting amount of work that had to be done and a trace of despair was evident on her face before she erased it and replaced it with determination instead. More paperwork wasnt going to be enough to take her down!

The once high sun had turned red and was fading into the distance, yet the woman still sat in the chair in her office with her shrinking stack of files and paperwork. After a while, she looked at her watch and was horrified to find out that it was midnight. 

Shit, Trent's gonna kill me! I gotta go!

The woman hurriedly grabbed her purse and frowned a bit at the amount of effort it took to lift it up. She chalked it up to dehydration and told herself she would be sure to drink a few cups once she got home. But by the time she made it to the door, she collapsed.

Ah, looks like I overworked myself after all. Was her last thought before she lost consciousness.