Part 18

As promised, an update!

Lorena was taking her break, sitting in the back room. She really hated these times. The silence. Those moments where it was just her thoughts and herself. They made her think, and whenever she thought, she thought about him. 

Damn it Zachary! You just had to make me fall for you so badly that I can't even go a moment of silence without thinking about you! Fuck you!

She was frustrated. She wanted nothing more than to run all the way over to the Solace mansion, tie that dense bastard to a chair, and kiss him. She couldn't though. First of all, she is still his subordinate. Well, she considered herself to be. And that made that behavior completely inappropriate in more ways than one. Second, she wasn't going to go back on her word. Besides, what could she say? 

She couldn't just head back and smooth everything over with a sorry. She couldn't say, "Oh, well sorry about disappearing on you guys, I just had to sort out my hidden feelings for my boss!" That wasn't how it went. This wasn't a novel, this was a world. 

Lorena liked to think of it like the novel was created from the world. Not the other way around. So instead of the world following the novel's events, the novel followed the world's events. It made much more sense and, if it were true, would mean she could do anything and everything and not get in trouble with some higher entity. She didn't believe in gods and stuff, but it was good to be mindful. 

Tears of frustration welled in her eyes. Did she make a bad choice? Should she have had been shameless and stayed with Zachary anyways? Even though he probably viewed her as a disappointment of a subordinate? The tears fell at that thought. Her main purpose and only goal was to be someone Zachary relied on and support him through what he wanted to do. 

Someone piss him off? She dealt with them. He want an information hub? She got it for him. She prided herself in being the one person that exceeded his expectations and did her work perfectly. Now look at her. She was a sobbing mess on the floor.

She didn't know what to do anymore, but what she did know for sure, was that when he needed her, she would be there. No matter where she was in the world, as long as Zachary needed her help, she would travel as fast as she could to be there. That was what hurt the most too. He probably didn't even want her help anymore. 

A presence in the room roused her from her increasingly depressing thoughts. Her head snapped up and she eyed the room warily. Her puffy, red eyes scanned the room with a cold and calculative glint. Number 2 was startled. This woman was obviously a master! At the very least an expert in martial arts. Though Number 2 was startled by her mastery, he knew he would be able to take her on. 

He appeared right in front of Lorena. She had sensed him but hadn't seen him coming. It alarmed her that he could have killed her any moment and she would've been helpless. She immediately raised her guard to the max. Outside, however, she regained her cold and stoic face. She acted as if his sudden appearance hadn't scared the living shit out of her. 

"Yes? I don't see why an expert such as yourself would want to trouble a young woman such as myself. Seeing you in here alone with me, what would other people think?"

Number 2 was surprised yet again. If he hadn't heard her rapidly beating heart, he would've thought that she had expected him. This woman was truly interesting. He put aside his interest, however, and got to the matter he had come here for.

"My young master had asked you to come up to... serve him. He is offended that you have kept him waiting. I am here to bring you up to him."

That spoiled brat has a strong backing! Not just anyone could afford a Grandmaster as a bodyguard. 

Lorena admired his humbleness. The masked man did not command her to come with him or look down upon her because she was a woman. He treated her the same as he would with anybody else. She liked this man. She would only follow him because of that reason. Definitely not because she was curious as to who the snot-nosed brat was. 

She nodded to the man. 

"Very well, then. I see I have a new customer that needs to be served?"

She put on her signature smile and tied her hair back up into a bun. She grabbed her tray and tied her apron on. She turned around to Number 2.

"Aren't you going to lead the way?"