Part 22

Lorena was satisfied with Cade's end. Arthur was ruthless and emotionless towards his children, and she was going to use that against him. He now only had one successor and that placed him in a perilous position. His brother would start exerting his influence and take advantage of the weakness Lorena created to try and take the position of head.

The specifics of the matter didn't really interest Lorena, but she kept tabs on it just in case. If things were going the way she planned, the Garrula family would eat itself up and she would just be the wind that would blow down their house of cards. They hurt her Zachary? Then she wasn't going to hold back on hurting them. More specifically, Arthur. The most important thing to him was his power. And she was going to not only take it from him, but she was going to crush it and make him watch it crumble. 

Meanwhile, in a certain caravan...

A man with a cloak on sat on the back of the wagon. His long legs dangled and occasionally hit the dirt road. His hands were spread out behind him as he leaned back on them and he was looking up to the sky. The hood of the cloak covered his facial features, so one couldn't see what he looked like. Just by looking at him, one could see he was lonely but had determination. For what? No one quite knew. 

He took out a letter from his pocket and one could see the neat and obviously feminine handwriting scrawled out on it. His face showed a warm smile as he read it for what seemed to be the thousandth time and carefully put it back in his pocket. 

The man looked back up at the sky and with a slight smile, he whispered.

"I'm coming, just you wait... Lorena."

Things were back to normal after Cade's appearance. Everybody forgot about the spoiled young master and continued on with their lives. Lorena still waited on tables and was still loved by all of the customers, and Randel. He was a man of few words... and expressions, but he was really a teddy bear once you got to know him. All big and gruff on the outside, but soft and cute in reality. 

Lorena loved Randel, he was like the grandpa she never had. His white stubble and messy short white hair created a rustic Santa look that she found surprisingly comfortable. Despite finding a place where she fit in. She didn't feel like she belonged. This wasn't her home. She knew where her home was. 

The trip to Stoneway and her stay was fun and exciting, but now she was just feeling homesick. She wanted to go back home, but what if they didn't feel the same way? She really just wanted to see Zachary again. She would accept any punishment he gave her, she might have deserved it after all. 

The ring of the bell that signaled a new customer woke her from her stupor and she quickly plastered on her signature fake smile. It immediately dropped when they took their hood off, however. 

Great, now I miss him so much I'm hallucinating. This is just sad, Lorena! 

She had stopped whatever motion she was doing and just stood there. Watching dumbly as he scanned the crowd, looking for somebody.

Oh god please let it be me. Please be me he's looking for!

The customers by now were noticing her shift of attention towards the newcomer and curiously looked at him. The inn grew quiet, which it rarely is, and people started to whisper their thoughts of the matter to their tablemates. 

"I say its the ex. It's gotta be! Only a man of that caliber is fit for our Lorena!"

"What're you, crazy?! How could he be worthy of her?? I say he's her brother."

"Ha! You've probably been around too long old man, you're starting to spout nonsense!"

"What'd you say little shit?! Wanna take me on?! Huh?!"

"Oi! What'd you geezers say?! Brother? Ha! They look nothing alike you fucktards!" 

"Teme! Did you say what I just think you said?! I'm no geezer! Fucknut!"

Similar conversations were occurring and the volume started to slowly rise once more. 

Zachary entered the inn where he was informed Lorena was working at. He was curious about the sudden lower in volume but was too focused on finding her that he didn't give it much thought. He took off his cloak hood and scanned the crowd. That's when he was met with those same glass eyes that were in his dreams. The ones he felt he could get lost in. 

Lorena finally caught his eyes. He could see relief and affection in them and was surprised. She must have been imagining it, she said to herself. Zachary probably didn't feel much for her. He probably just found her so that he could be sure she didn't spill any information. Not like she would ever, but he was a very distrusting person. 

He started to make his way through the crowd and closer to her all while keeping eye contact with her. Because of his proficiency in martial arts, he was before her in a matter of seconds. Being up close, she saw how dusty he was and how the rough trip here had affected him. Surprisingly enough, it didn't bother her. 

Ever since coming to this world, her phobia of germs had gotten better. It still bothered her to no end, but it was becoming more manageable. She could now tolerate dust and mud amongst other things and it was really relieving for her. Having those things be intolerable was stressful for her. Now that stress was gone. Back to the present...

Zachary was relieved. He found her. She was here. She was with him. He hugged her and brought her in his embrace and was surprised how right it felt. That's when he was absolutely positive that he would keep her by his side forever. No matter what the means.

Lorena was surprised by the sudden hug, but she felt something she hadn't felt at all in these past few weeks. And that was complete. She felt whole again. She felt like she was home. And maybe she was. Zachary was her home. Not the Solace mansion, but the people inside it. The relief she felt made her tear up. And once she started, she found it hard to stop.

Zachary felt something wet on his shirt. Surprised, he looked down to see her crying in his embrace. He had never dealt with a crying woman before and was baffled as to how he should handle the situation. Should he pat her? Keep on hugging her? Tell her it's okay? He opted for all three.

He continued to hug her and rubbed small circles on the small of her back as he whispered: "it's alright, it's okay." Into her ears. 

They both felt complete, whole. 

"Ahem."

They both turned and were met with the stares of all of the customers in the inn. It was silence and both of them started to turn red with embarrassment. 

"Just kiss and make up already!"

Until one man broke the silence.