20.

With just as much difficulty as she had had the previous seventeen times, Hazel clicked ignore on the incoming call from Hawk.

He had made his feelings very clear, and if he wanted to go back to being fuck buddies, well, that wasn't going to happen.

She walked into class in her I-don't-give-a-shit sweatpants and tshirt sat down, ignoring Josh's imploring looks. Something landed on her desk, and she barely suppressed a sigh. She unfolded the piece of paper and her lips twitched at the simple message.

You okay?

She turned in her seat and sent Josh a small smile and a nod, but he narrowed his eyes.

Unsurprisingly, in another five seconds, another note landed on her desk.

Let's try this again, no bullshit. You okay?

Hazel surprised herself when within seconds tears were gathering in her eyes.

"What the fuck?" she muttered, wiping one from the corner of her eye.

She again turned to Josh, looking confused and a little lost. He smiled sadly and nodded.

"That's what I thought," he whispered. "Come to McDonald's with me for lunch."

She hesitated then conceded with a small nod.

"I'm guessing you and Hawkins split," Josh started, after they were seated with the food that he had insisted on paying. Not that it was a lot, McDonald's, but still. The gesture was sweet.

"Yeah," Hazel sighed.

"Why?"

Hazel hesitated then shook her head.

"Because he's...he doesn't feel it anymore," she said, sneering to mask the hurt in her voice.

Josh snorted and Hazel's head snapped up.

"What? Look, sorry, Hazel, but that's total bull. That might be what he told you, but I promise that's not the truth."

Hazel scoffed.

"Look, no offense, but you don't know anything about Hawk, all right? He used to be a total player, and I knew eventually he would get sick of me."

"Again, Hazel, no offense, but he's lying. First of all, no one would get tired of you. I know that you're just going to wave this off or something, but you're smoking freaking hot, all right? Second of all, you're funny as shit, and I know that you're smart. I could go on, but when you and Hawk get back together, I don't want him to kick my ass."

"We're not getting back together," Hazel said.

"Oh really?" Josh asked. She nodded. He tilted his head towards the door and raised an eyebrow.

"Then why is he glaring at me right now like I kicked him in the balls?"

Hazel froze and slowly turned to look at the door, where Hawk was standing and indeed, glaring at Josh.

"Fuck," she muttered.

"Go talk to him Hazel. And this time, don't let him bullshit you, yeah?" Josh said softly.

Hazel looked at him imploringly.

"You don't mind if I ditch you?"

"Nope. And I'll even tell the office you got sick, so you have the rest of the day off. I know, I'm kind of amazing."

Hazel smiled softly.

"You kind of are."

She got up and started to walk away, but Josh stopped her with a hand on her arm.