Interlude 3

Sunday, January 09, 2011

New York City

Zatara touched down in front of his New York home. He was glad that Nabu lets him go home instead of the Tower. The interior decoration was starting to annoy him. A quick cleaning incantation to remove any traces of demon blood and gore did its works before he entered the front door. Honestly, he was tired.

Walking into the kitchen, he found his daughter Zatanna preparing dinner. "Hello, sweetie," he yawned.

"Hi, dad. Glad you're home. I made dinner."

He ruffled her hair. "That's wonderful. Thank you."

As the two were eating, they each described their day. When the topic of demons was brought up, her father groaned.

"Oh, yeah. Was everything okay after you left?" she asked.

"I solved the issue," he began. "It's just that the solution involved slaying several battalions of hellspawn."

Zatanna cringed. "Must have been messy."

"You have no idea."

After dinner, they moved to the living room to relax. The two continued their chat until a sweet silence swept the room.

"Dad?" Zatanna asked.

There was no response. She looked at her father, the helmet obscuring his face didn't help.

A small grin crept to her face. "I'm thinking of living with my boyfriend in Metropolis and dying my hair purple."

The silence continued until light snoring confirmed her suspicions.

Zatanna chuckled at her sleeping father before looking at the clock. "I suppose it is late. He's also had a long day." She put the dishes and food away before levitating her father upstairs and into bed. After giving him a blanket, she kissed the forehead of the helmet. "Goodnight, dad." Walking to her room, Zatanna couldn't help but think that wearing a helmet to sleep could be bad for his neck.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Central City Mall

Wally took a bit out of a piece of roast chicken. Across from him, Artemis was finishing up her potato salad. Treating Artemis for lunch after losing the most recent bet wasn't all that bad. Wally was thankful that she had the same food standards as him. Suddenly, just like the other day, a chill ran up his spine. Eyes darted around the food court in a vain attempt to find the source of his displeasure.

Artemis quirked an eyebrow. "Okay, what's up with you? You're acting weird. Well, weirder than usual."

The speedster's eyes focused back on his girlfriend. "Sorry, I can't help but feel that I'm being watched."

She chuckled at his paranoia. "Why you think someone is out to kill you?"

"I don't know, maybe." Wally breathed a sigh of defeat.

"I think that's just your big ego," Artemis replied with a roll of her eyes.

"Maybe it's your dad or your sister is keeping an eye on me as some sort of test," he guessed. "I haven't seen them since we started dating."

"Believe me, Baywatch. If they wanted you dead, they would be more direct." She sipped her drink and smiled at him. "Besides, even if they were trying to scare you, I'd save your ass. You did the same for me in Bialya. To hell and back, am I right?"

Wally wrapped a hand around hers and smiled back in relief. "Yeah, to hell and back."

Meanwhile on the Second Floor