Jellal x Reader~ Angels

Prompt: Yes, the angels are pretty. Just don't get too close.

This chapter takes a while to kick off- but once it does oh boy. Oh boy.
~~~

The moon was waning. It was just a small sliver now, making it the perfect timing for my mission. My special mission. Stealth wasn't optional- it was either that or failure. Failure wasn't an option either. Failure meant death.

I set a brisk pace, booking my way across Fiore high in the sky. The altitude rendered me almost invisible above the storm clouds. It was a coy move, but one that could very well secure my life. That was the most crucial part. Everything I did, I did to survive.

A house broke the horizon. I didn't smile, nor was there any sense of achievement. It was just another name, another face. There was no pleasure to my job. Nobody would benefit. Except for me, I suppose.

My wings folded against my back. They were a brilliant white shade, shimmering with the light of a million stars. Each angle caught a new feather. No matter what way I turned; no matter how much black paint I had tried, they would always glow. Same could be said about my halo. It was the shiniest of any metal. Luckily, the object could take many forms- and currently it was a stunning golden necklace.

There was still a couple mile's hike between me and my goal. Mere hundreds of feet to ponder the act I was about to commit. Oddly, I didn't feel remorse. Feelings weren't a luxury in my line of business.

The undergrowth was thinner now. A clearing broke the darkness, lit by the moon's meager lighting. Soon that wouldn't even be there. Rain clouds were brewing on the horizon. I prepared my mana. It swelled to meet my call, a tidal wave of magic and destruction. My fingers seemed to dip into the endless void, and immediately I felt my body heat.

It's nice, I thought as I surveyed the interior of the house. It was modestly decorated. Behind me, the door was still locked. I didn't have time for such minute tasks. Teleporting was easier anyways.

Each stair creaked under my foot. It seemed as though the house was worn by age. Sure, I could mute my steps. What would that accomplish for me, however? Either way my target's fate was sealed. If I were to fail- which had never happened- then they would still die. So why give it my all? Why waste the mana? I didn't see a point to it.

I gently drug my fingers across the grooves in each wall. Snoring filled the desolate hallway. The only light was a single ray from the moon that pierced through a door crack. A defeated sigh exited my lungs. Only a door of thin wood separated this man from his fate, and he lay blissfully unaware.

Crrreaakkk. The door's old hinges released a loud, overly-exaggerated noise. It was as though the house its self was attempting to save his life. All its efforts would be in vain.

Fluttering curtains caught my attention. A cool breeze wafted in through the window, making my eyes narrow in distrust. Every window had been closed when I first arrived. Of that I was sure. Windows were always my preferred entrance, after all.

My eyes flittered to a close. Every sense in my body magnified to make up for the loss, allowing me to notice sounds previously unheard. Whispering. Foot steps. Shuffling. Breathing. It wasn't just me and one other person; no, there were two.

I was bemused by this change in circumstance. My title had spread far and wide, drawing unwanted attention. Perhaps the authorities were here to subdue me. That would be quite a sight. The shock on their faces when they saw the truth would be utterly gratifying.

That wasn't the case, of course. I was much too smart to expect so. Authorities were bound by laws. Laws did not allow one to break into a two-story house via window. The confidence of the two also lead me to a second fact: they had backup waiting nearby. Most likely posted out the window to block the escape. Another two at the front and back doors.