Natsu x Reader~ (Hot) Water

A continuation of the 'Water' chapter, Natsu's branch. Enjoy!

~

I couldn't bear to look at the ocean. Not anymore. Every time that water would splatter on my face or the waves would roar, my body would wince. My sobs had yet to cease.

Natsu had me settled between his legs, gently rubbing my back. My hands were entangled in his shirt with a death grip. It was him who had pulled me away from her. Who had stopped me from going into the water. Still, I couldn't find it in my heart to be angry at him. All I could feel was a vast hollow space.

The only words exchanged the entire trip was between Natsu and Wendy. Even then, it was only for an anti-motion sickness spell. My thoughts were silenced. Everything was silenced.

Finally, I broke the silence that ensnared our ship. Every ear paid heed to my words. There was an obvious gasp to my words.

"It all happened so fast," I gasped aloud. "She's- She's dead, Natsu. She died. I didn't even notice, how bad of a daughter could I be? She was sick. All along, and I- I-"

Once more, I broke into racking sobs. Natsu rubbed my back in soothing circles. It didn't ease the aching in my heart. I doubted it was supposed to. No, he was only doing it to show me I wasn't alone. I was grateful for that.

"Didn't you hear her? She loved you, you were an awesome daughter! Don't be so down, it's not like she's gone forever. You'll always have the memories," he chided.

Natsu's gaze was far away when he spoke. It seemed as though he was looking into a far-away memory. Like he was seeing something I couldn't. My head began to pound do to all my split tears, and exhaustion clung to every limb.

I fell onto him. Natsu merely let it happen, shifting to accommodate my shaking form. He's warm, I thought numbly. His body was much hotter than my own. My eyes began to drape. There was nothing for me to be awake for. Nothing except despair. So when sleep overtook my body, I welcomed it with open arms.

"Hey, kid. C'mon. It's time to wake up."

Gentle shakes racked my body, and I stirred uneasily against a hard surface. My eyes fluttered open to acknowledge Gajeel. He flashed me a small smile. Without another word, he left.

I twisted to view Natsu. His pink hair was dusted over his eyes, but I could tell from the steady rise and fall of his chest that he was dead asleep. There was a sickly green hue to his cheeks. My chest started to flutter. It was an odd sensation, and I wondered briefly if I was sick like Natsu. The feeling faded before I became too concerned. Odd, I thought curiously, but at least it's gone.

Somehow Natsu and I had ended up below deck. Faint rays of sun burst through the seams in the wood, leaning me to conclude it was early morning. Very early morning. Why did Gajeel insist on waking up at dawn? Seems unneeded. Perhaps it's a land-culture thing.

Waves rocked the boat. The swishing of the water against wood was like a song to me, and I allowed myself to bask in the serenity. Even if only for a moment. It was; in fact, only a moment before it got completely shattered.

"Godammit Rogue! We've discussed this!"

"Actually, I told you not to do it. You just didn't listen."

"Can you two sissies shut up already?"

"I don't even know why I agreed to go on this trip."

"That's enough, all of you."

I giggled quietly as Sting, Rogue, and Gajeel argued. Laxus inputted himself into the conversation whilst Erza tried to end it. Their voices reminded me that I was supposed to be getting up. But I'm so comfy... I thought despondently, leaning further against Natsu.