Cobra x Reader~ The Gray Area

This one doesn't *quite* have a prompt... I'm just making it up as I go! Anyways, there was a request for another Cobra and I am happy to oblige. Seriously, I love requests haha.

This one-shot will be the darkest one I've written. It won't be horrific by any means, but it does dip into darker themes. You have been warned.

~

My legs swung over the building's roof, kicking into vacant air. A piece of candy swirled in my mouth. It had a sweet strawberry taste. Or maybe watermelon? I pondered it further, eyes locked on the group below me.

They were odd. Very odd. For one, what maniacs would stray into the dangerous part of the city in the dead of night? Not normal people. For two, they wore robes that concealed their entire body. Nothing screamed "I'm shady!" like full-coverage robes. I would know. My own clothes; covering me to the brim, swirled in the frosty air.

"I just love love!"

"Shut the hell up, Richard."

I giggled quietly at their arguments. They were so close, and it was easy to tell. Their arguments were out of friendship and trust. Nobody seemed to be hurt by them. Too bad trust comes with a price these days, I thought with great melancholy. It was a feeling few could afford.

They pressed on, and I watched them go without a complaint. Tonight was sure to be a busy night for me. Only once they were out of sight did I finally stand. I stretched languidly, sighing happily at the way the bitter air caressed my skin.

Then, I was off. My feet traced a trail few could follow. Footsteps joined in with mine. I didn't turn to look at them, because they'd disappear if I did. Many would say the same about me. We blent into the shadows as though we were one in the same. And perhaps we are.

The shadows and I, we were close. They accompanied on every mission, every journey, every minute of my life. Unseen. Unheard. Unknown. Night was the perfect guise for both of us. It was one that could conceal everything. As a result, that's when the Night Brigade worked. It was in the name, of course.

We arrived at our destination without so much as a single interruption. Nobody knew of our plans, our algorithm, nothing. All it took was one night and we could topple an entire franchise. Hell, we'd done it a countless number of times. This would only be another scratch in the book.

I couldn't hear my companions, couldn't see them. I'd be worried if I could. Still, I didn't have to recognize them to know that they're with me. All they had to do was follow my orders. Conversely, all I had to do was give them.

Two fingers on my right hand, two on my left. I beckoned to either side of the bank. Four of my companions left my presence. There were many that remained. That is, if dozen had arrived as they were supposed to. Not that it mattered. We were all trained, we all knew what had to be done. And what had to be done to accomplish it, with or without somebody else.

My fingers dug into the building's aged grooves, and I hoisted myself up. It was almost too easy. The cement had worn off exponentially. Each of the chipped bricks provided an excellent path for climbing, and I made it to the top in record time.

We arrived on the building's rooftop. I dipped below the rimming of it, hiding myself from any prying eyes. Not that there were any. Complicated locks, no doubt. My fingers skimmed over the knob, eyeing its keyhole. But not enough. I produced a lock pick from my pocket, and got to work. It wasn't difficult popping the locks. Not after years of experience.

The door clicked, and I retreated behind the walls. I held up three fingers and gestured to the hallway. More followers left my group. Shortly after, I followed. They could dismantle each trap and unlock every door.