20

I was so relieved to touch down in England. Steph and Stephen were picking me up from the airport and then we were just heading back to their house so I could settle in again.

I walked out of arrivals and into the main floor of the airport, walking over to pick-ups. I pushed through the crowd, practically jumping into Steph's arms when I saw her.

I pulled away finally and hugged Stephen. "It's so good to see you again, Ste," I smiled. I was glad to see he still looked really well, considering.

"We've been so worried about you, Fran." He said slowly, as I walked with Steph and him to baggage claim.

"Worried about me? I've been worried about you. How are you!? Steph forbade me to ask about you while I was in hospital.."

He chuckled and shook his head at his wife. "And she was right to do so. I have good days and bad days, but you should just worry about yourself for now. We want you fighting fit and back on the p—-"

"Stephen! You weren't supposed to tell her!" Steph sighed as she came back over with my bags, handing me one before putting the other across her shoulder.

"Tell me what?" I wondered, folding my arms as Steph led us out to her car.

"Well, I was thinking...."

"Oh, that's never good..." I sighed.

She glared at me momentarily before continuing.

"You haven't actually retired from football and no doctor ever said you could never play again—"

"Steph, I don't want to play again. I went to university and got a degree for a reason." I sighed, not knowing how many times I've had this conversation with Steph.

"Lucy said—"

I laughed. "Lucy?!? Of course she had something to say about this."

"She just wants what's best for you."

"Whatever she thinks is best for me, I'm going to do the complete opposite."

Stephen laughed from the front seat. "I've never known two people to be so stubborn."

"Right well, just think about it." Steph smiled as we pulled up to their house. I got out and got my bags from the boot carrying them inside.

I walked into the kitchen and turned on the light.

"SURRPPPPPRIIIIIISEEEE!!!!"

I just about fell over from the shock. The whole Man City first team were all in Steph's kitchen, looking as though they'd started the party without us.

I tried to hug everyone as quickly as possible, staying clear of Jill for the moment because I knew she was going to give me the third degree about Lucy. When it came to Keira, things got a little bit awkward but I pulled her into a hug regardless and I felt her sigh a sigh of relief.

She pulled away eventually and looked at me. "Have you talked to her?"

I shook my head, "No. She's been calling me all day."

"I know, she's been nagging me all day. You should phone her though, she'll want to know you're safe."

I breathed in and nodded. I waved to Jill and Steph, who were obviously talking about me and pushing my way past everyone, going into the back garden.

I unlocked my phone and clicked on Lucy's name.

Lucy: Hello?

Hi.

Lucy: Oh. Hi.

How are you?

Lucy: Great.

Great. I just spoke to Kiera.

Lucy: Good for you.

What's wrong with you?

Lucy: What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you, Fran?

Why the fuck are you shouting?

Lucy: Why the fuck shouldn't I shout? You left!

So did you, if I remember correctly.

Lucy: You left because you were scared.

And you left because you cheated on me with my best friend and you were too ashamed to tell me!

The line went silent and I couldn't be bothered waiting for her to make up another excuse so I hung up. I turned around and accidentally banged into someone;

"Ah...shit sorry Keira...." I muttered, looking everywhere but at her.

"It's fine."

"How much did you hear?"

"All of it."