43

"We have to go talk to the chief before we leave" I spoke as she pulled away, nodding slowly.

"What if he fires me?" She asked, catching me off guard.

"He's not going to, I promise you" I whispered, kissing her head again.

I held her body into my own, supporting her more as we walked slowly, all eyes flying to us once we opened the door.

"What, you guys don't have jobs?" I spat out after a moment of everyone just looking, not speaking.

We continued to walk, Payton leaning her head on my shoulder, looking at everything as we passed it.

We went to the chiefs office, seeing Calum standing and speaking to him.

"Okay, thank you Doctor Hood" he spoke before turning to us, his head tilted slightly.

"Please come in, have a seat." He spoke.

We both went in, sitting and immediately holding hands as he sat in front of us.

"First off, I'm very sorry to the both of you, this is something neither of you should have ever had to go through." He spoke slowly, making me shake my knee lightly as Payton slowly looked to our hands.

"I want you guys to take time off, I'm giving you both two weeks. Doctor Irwin, you must stay off at least one of these weeks- if you come in early, I will put you on probation. Doctor Johnson, I want you to take the next two weeks off, if you come in early I will also put you on probation. If either of you need more than two weeks off, let me know and I'll make it happen." He spoke slowly.

"Thank you" we both spoke in unison.

He slowly nodded.

"Once again I'm sorry, if either of you need anything at all, you know where your second family is" he spoke.

"Thank you" I spoke, standing with Payton, holding her hand as she led the way out of the room, her hand resting on her stomach slowly.

"Pain?" I asked her, seeing her turn to me.

"It's just like cramps" she mumbled out, making me kiss her cheek gently, placing my hand on top of hers.

"Need anything before we leave?" I asked her.

"My phone and keys are in my locker" she spoke.

I held her as we walked.

I didn't want to let her go.

I wasn't going to.

We went into the locker room- conveniently just as every other intern was getting off of work.

Everyone looked

Payton ignored, leading me through everyone and to the locker I recognized as her own.

She opened it, grabbing her bag and phone, turning to me, where I immediately took her bag from her, leading her out of the almost silent room.

"They all know" she whispered as we came out, I put my arm around her waist.

"It's okay, princess" I spoke, kissing her head gently.

I knew it was killing her, but I didn't want her focusing on anything too negative.

I walked her to my car, opening the door for her and watched her get in, buckling up as I went around.

As I drove, I kept my hand on her knee, rubbing my thumb over her knee slowly.

"Can we get Cleo?" She asked me.

"I called Maddie before I got here and she said Cleo was already asleep, I'm sorry" I spoke, looking to her, seeing her nod.

"Can we cuddle and watch movies?" She asked me quietly.

"Of course we can"