Chapter 8

Dexter

Delilah is waiting outside with me while we wait to hear about Waverly's condition.
I hate waiting but I know there's nothing I can do. Taylor is highly educated within the medical field so I know he's doing all that he can. It's been over an hour since I was shoved out of the room.

I see Finn and the rest of our small party emerge from the treeline. They shift and make their way across the yard to Lila and I.

"We followed the scent a few miles across our boarder but he was gone Dex." Finn said perturbed.

Just as I'm about to explain how I'll kill every last member of Bloodrose, the door behind me opens and Taylor steps out.

"She's stable. She tore a few of her stitches during her...episode but I gave her something and a dose of sedatives so she should be out for the night." Taylor announces. "You can see her now if you'd like."

I rush past him without another thought and hurry down the hallway. I stand at the door for a moment before opening it. Trying to prepare myself and gather my emotions. Upon opening the door seeing her sleeping peacefully puts me at a bit of ease. Taylor's assistant moves a chair next to her bed for me before leaving the room. I take the seat and find myself taking her hand in mind.

Studying her face I cant help feeling flooded with remorse and regret. How it's my fault that this had to happen to her, my fault for not telling her about Bloodrose, but most of all my fault for bringing her here and putting her in harms way.

"I'm so sorry Waves.." I say looking down at our hands. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

After several minutes the door opens and Finn steps in.

"Dex, I don't mean to sound cold but what do you want to do about this?"

"Inform Leo and have him get a pack meeting in order for the morning." I responded without looking up.

I feel Finn leave and a few moments later Delilah walks in.

"You should get some sleep Dex. I'll stay with her and get you when she wakes." Delilah offers.

"I'm fine."

"Really Dex you should get so-"

"I'm fine." I reply accidentally letting my Alpha voice slip out. "Thank you."

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

The next morning....

Waverly

I wake up to Dexter's head resting on my bedside. He's fast asleep but he looks like he's been awake all night. Looking around the room it's very bare. White walls with a cedar cabinet. A cedar desk with a computer. And a chair. The bed I'm in and the chair Dex is seated in. No pictures. Just a large window looking towards the woods. The last thing I remember is Dex crouching over me at the lagoon. He must have brought me here.

Looking at Dex, I cant help but run my fingers through his beautiful chocolate brown hair. After a few strokes he's roused awake.

"Waves you're awake!" He says with a tired smile.

Upon hearing my name on his lips my stomach does a somersault and I can't help but smile back. I never thought I'd hear his deep melodious voice again.

"What happend?" I ask him.

"You were stabbed.." He starts

The events from the past evening come rushing back. "I-I remember that part.. but how did I get here? How did you find me?"

"Flynn is a really great tracker so we got to you as soon as we realized you left." He looks down at his hands and whispers, "I'm sorry it wasn't soon enough."

I reach my hand out to him and he takes it lovingly in his. I try to explain to him how none of it is his fault but he won't look at me. He just continues to rub his thumb back and forth over my hand.

Giving his hand a squeeze I assure him, "I'm fine."

"But you almost weren't." He almost yelps. Dropping my hand he turns toward the door and runs his hand through his hair. "There was so much blood.." he whispers. He turns back to me, "Christs sake Waverly I had to-" The realization of his words come to him and he stops mid sentence. "Shit. I'm sorry." He looks up at the clock. "I have a meeting to get to. I'll let Taylor know you're awake." He gives me a look that I cant quite read before leaving the room.

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

Thank y'all for reading! This is a bit if a turning point and things in this story are about to speed up. And possibly heat up.. Please vote or leave a comment if you've been enjoying the story so far! I'm so thankful for all the views my story has gotten so far. Way more than I'd ever expected! XOXO