Chapter 10

Waverly

It's been a couple weeks now since the incident. Dexter has become overly solicitous of me. To the point he has ordered his top fighter, Austin, to be my "defender" whenever he's not around. Basically meaning I can't go anywhere or do anything out of this guys sight. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that Dex and I have been sleeping together or not. Literally just sleeping.. I'm not ready to take things any further yet, but being with him has been keeping the nightmares I've been having at bay. Mostly..
During the day Dex and the rest of the pack have been super busy. Dex has everyone on new training shifts along with renovations updating the entire pack house security. So really the only social interaction I've been getting is Austin who's pretty quiet. And my appointments with Taylor. He's been monitoring me religiously. He's extremely impressed with how I've healed. He believes Dex's blood must have helped in the healing process. Fortunately my body hasn't tried to shift since that first initial night. So Taylor has finally cleared me to start running again. Yay!

After getting this new information the first thing I do is rush upstairs from Taylors office to change. I pull out a black and white Adidas jogging suite with a matching pair of sneakers. Checking myself in the full length closet mirror I tie my hair up into a messy bun and head for the bedroom door. Of course standing just outside the door is Austin.

Austin turns around, notices my clothing change and gives me a questioning look.

"I'm going for a run." I inform him as I step around the large man standing before me.

"Where?" He asks.

I hadn't thought that far ahead. Instead of answering him I just continue outside to the courtyard and start stretching.

"We should inform Dex before going anywhere."

"It's fine Austin." I roll my eyes knowing full well Dex would shut this idea down. But I need to do something. Being shut up in the pack house for weeks is taking its toll.

"I really think we should-"

"You go inform Dex then. In the meantime.." I start jogging off.

I hear Austin sigh before following along behind me.

I quickly realize where I'm heading. I don't know why I'd want to go back there again.. But it feels like I need to. For closure maybe?

As we grow closer to Gray Lagoon Austin warns. "We shouldn't be going this way."

"I need to do this. I might seem stupid to you but I really feel like this is something I have to do."

"I don't think you're stupid. I just think you should be here with Alpha. He's going to be pissed when he finds out that-"

I stop running to face him. "I know Austin and I'm sorry I put you in this position. You can go back and tell him if you'd like." I smile knowing full well he won't leave my side.

"You know I can't do that."

"Then shut up and let me do this." I can see his lip twitching. He's been beyond annoyed about being assigned to me since day 1. And I know I'm being pretty rude to him today, but I'd never get anywhere any other way. "Please just.." I put my hand on his shoulder. "Let me go."

He runs his hand through his blonde hair. "Fine. Let's just hurry it up."

We run the rest of the way to the lagoon in silence. The closer we get, the higher I can feel my anxiety rising.

Once we make it I don't know how to feel. When I first found this place I thought it was so beautiful. Peaceful. Now all I feel is dread. First I approach the tree I sat under for hours. Closing my eyes I remember the face of my attacker all too vividly. Trying to shake the face that's been haunting my dreams away I walk over to the spot where I layed by the water. Touching the grass. My eyes look up to the hill in the direction the wolf had run off after he had cut me. I don't know what compels me.. but I start off that way.