Mission to the Nether

I woke from my tent. For a split second, I thought I was just camping somewhere in the Taiga Forest where I live. Then everything that happened the last few days came crashing down on me.

"Gosh darn it Naeus," I muttered, "You just had to ruin it." I went outside and found a piece of paper on the floor and Jet strolling around near me. I nearly collapsed in relief, he survived!

"Good boy, good boy," I said, stroking his hair while I bend down and grabbed the piece of paper. Snow was licking her fur, ridding it of blood from the battle. Rainstorm nuzzled my foot and Thunder barked loudly as usual.

"Shush, I need to read this," I said to Thunder. He whined and did what was equivalent to a mischievous grin to a wolf.

The paper had words written on it in familiar handwriting, I smiled.

Iris,

Head back here when it's about sunset. Got a meeting, and you're invited.

Rain

"Okay then," I said, yawning, "Let's tidy up and get back in. And Jet? I won't leave you out again." Jet neighed like he's trying to say you better.

I rode back in with Jet. There was a large hole where the gate was supposed to be in. It was an easy entrance since most of the guards are in the infirmary. I saw the sun set. Perfect timing.

I led Jet to a stable and walked over to the meeting place, I knocked hesitantly.

"Hello?" I asked. They beckoned me to join them. I sat down in a chair.

"So everybody is here now," Ser Patrick said, "As you can see, Herobrine has risen, again." A collective groan was heard around the table.

"And," Ser Patrick said, raising his voice, "The Nether pose as a threat, having the power to land portals wherever they want. Therefore we need somebody to scout and report the status the Nether is in back to us." He was looking at me. I blinked away any remaining fatigue before getting what he wants me to do.

"Oh, so you want me to go back there to scout it for you," I said. Ser Patrick nodded as confirmation.

"Only you, Rain and Azura have been to the Nether and returned alive and reported it to me. And Azura is needed elsewhere," Ser Patrick explained, "So you and Rain will scout the Nether for us and hopefully bring news of weakness in the Nether." I shrugged, but inside I'm panicking. I'm going back to that monstrosity? After offending Naeus in Goldmine and that incident a year ago? He most certainly is very powerful.

"Sure, and when will we go?" I asked. Ser Patrick replied:

"When you're ready."

It's not over yet. My mind went momentarily blank back there. (I have no idea what my state of mind is and what that was for.)

I sighed as I gripped my enchanted bow with my sword strapped to my back, its purple sheath recently cleaned. My heart pounded extra loud and fast as we approach the Nether Portal, I took a glance at my surroundings. The snowy fields and white leaved trees. The snow-covered rooftops and the snowflakes that land on whatever it can. I internally sighed as I know what I'm about to enter: A fiery hot inferno, in other words, hell.

I took a daring leap to the portal.

To be safe, the portal we used wasn't the ones left behind in a siege. It was built, so where we end up is randomly decided.

"Where are we?" I asked. Rain frowned.

"I don't know, but we have obsidian, flint and steel and things we missed out last time, if we're really desperately lost, then we can build a portal and get out," Rain said. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes I know that, but where exactly are we so we can get to the fortress to spy on Naeus?" I asked.

I inwardly added, And so we can get out of here as soon as possible with the report. I hate to admit it, but I have developed a... phobia for the Nether. I keep having nightmares about this place even when I'm living my peaceful life back at my hut.

"I don't know... the compass's messed up," Rain said, frowning, "And there's no map or anything." I snatched his compass from him and began nervously fiddling with it, after a while, the point settled and pointed steadily forward.

"There. Now it leads to the closest source of Netherbrick," I said, "If we're lucky, then we'll hit Naeus's fortress." Then I had an idea.

"Hey, do you have paper?" I asked Rain. He shrugged and handed me one, I took out a quill.

"We can try to map the Nether," I said, "Well let's continue." I only wanted to map the Nether so we're not going to be lost again. Hopefully.

"Good thinking," Rain said, my lips quivered even though it's not cold as I remembered the fiery lava sea, the dark Netherbrick fortresses... I don't even want to imagine.

"There's a giant field of netherrack that way," Rain said, pointing to the only viable option. I managed a grim smile.

"Netherrack Fields, I like the sound of that," I said, writing the words Netherrack Fields on the piece of paper.

"Let's go on," I said, trudging forward. I am not letting this phobia get into me, I am not.