Village Raid

Me and Fletcher ran outside. Fletcher cursed.

"Most people here are stupid! We actually need to ring that bell in the town center for them to know there's a raid going on. Then they hunker down and wait for it to pass," Fletcher said. Fletcher loaded his crossbow before firing at a Pillager, who looked surprised at the bolt embedded in his chest.

Although a crossbow fire with more power and deals more damage, it takes too long to reload and personally for me, I think it's too heavy. Plus the bolts are annoyingly hard to attach.

A loud ring disturbed my thoughts. Fletcher was frantically ringing the bell back and forth.

"So this is the town bell?" I asked through the fray. He nodded.

"Evelyn! Get away from this raid! Your just an architect!" Fletcher yelled.

"You still need to learn the full extent of my abilities, Fletcher!" Evelyn yelled back, she sounded angry. "They have a Ravager!" I could hear Fletcher curse.

I heard about them. Ravagers are apparently stronger than iron golems, they bash and destroy everything they come in contact with and flings people up in the air and let gravity deal the damage the Ravager missed.

"Ravagerrr!!!!" A villager screamed as he fled in our direction. A giant beast with a Pillager with a banner sitting on top of it charged in our direction. I quickly fire at its head. The arrow stuck in its hide. That thing is hard to kill.

The Pillager with the banner cackled. I shot an arrow at its throat, clean cut. It fell off the Ravager. I suddenly felt unlucky. Maybe I'm just imagining it and being superstitious.

I shook my head as I was snapped out of my train of thoughts. I suddenly realized that the Ravager was just blocks away from me in a charge. I blinked as I jerked backward. My bow clattered out of my hand.

Suddenly, a crossbow bolt hit and went all the way through the Ravager's skull. Fletcher stood to the side, reloading the bow. I blinked again as I realized that he saved my life.

"Thanks," I said, smiling, "Feels nice to be alive." Fletcher awkwardly ran his hands through his hair at my response (his hat fell off some time during that battle).

"Er... yeah. You're welcome," he said awkwardly. What was that about?

Rain then stabbed a Pillager through its chest. I then saw a Pillager knocking down a wooden door with a terrified woman and child inside. I fired the Pillager. The Pillager somehow managed to dodge it. What on earth?

But I still got its attention. It reloaded its crossbow. But since reloading crossbows take way too long, I shot it while it was reloading.

The fight continued. It was more or less the same. Close calls here and there. Nothing serious. It was easy to kill the Pillagers since they were so spread out, and their main firepower, the Ravager, is gone.

It took a very long time, but we cleared the raid. Evelyn let out a groan as she saw the destruction the Ravager caused.

"I should really get working on walls. I hate stupid Ravagers, ruining all my hard work," Evelyn kicked the dirt.

"Rain, do you have directions back to the Frostbourne?" I asked hopefully, changing the subject.

"I do, actually," Rain said, "It isn't far."

I'm all hyped up to go see my wolves and friends. I suddenly feel like I just had a full cup of strong coffee.

"I guess we should get going now. I hope I'll see you all again," I said, smiling.

"Me too," Evelyn said, "You guys are really good at fighting. The Pillagers won't stand a chance. I hope they run out of firepower, our lives would be so much easier. Anyways, I'm up to building another wall, I got to do some mining first though."

Fletcher rolled his eyes, "Jeez Ev, the wall can wait. At worst they're gonna attack tomorrow and you being the speedy builder you are will probably finish a layer by nightfall."

Evelyn huffed, "That doesn't mean I can't get prepared!" We all laughed.

"Well, you have that map Joe got you. You should come back and visit sometimes," Evelyn said, "I hope the next time you visit there won't be a raid."

"That would be nice," Fletcher agreed, "Safe travels everybody."

"Thanks," me and Rain both said simultaneously.

<Timeskip>

"I call dibs on the last watch," I said.

"I will wake you on time. So you can't sleep in," Rain said jokingly.

"It's just that one time. Besides, that saved my life!" I protested, swatting his arm gently. He laughed.

"I'll take the watch. You go to bed," he said, a hint of a smile lingering from the laugh just now.

"I will, and I'll wake up on time," I said, "Challenge accepted." I know he didn't really challenge me, but it's hinted. He grinned as I climb in my tent.

I did jolt awake, I'm early too. But instead of waking naturally, I soon realized I woke to the sound of muffled fighting.

Oh no. Was my only thought. I dashed outside, bow already in hand since I keep it by my bedside. These are dangerous days.

"Let go of me you--" Rain kicked a pigman, who oinked but held on. I fired an arrow, which hit it. It gave Rain an opening to run free, which he tried. Naeus took the pigman's place.

Why out of all villains that bit** just have to be here...... I growled before nocking another arrow, but a wither skeleton charged me, and I was forced to shoot him instead.

It soon became clear that my bow is useless against so many charging mobs. I was forced to use my sword. Sure, I can fight well with it, but only enough for self-defense, unlike the crazy offensive ones that Rain managed to get so good at.

"No!" I managed to shout when I saw Naeus drag a struggling Rain into the portal, which surprisingly didn't close.

I fell to my knees and my sword clattered to the ground. I can't do this! I can't go back to the Nether, which is the source of my nightmares. I can't...... Maybe I can go find Evelyn and Fletcher, they're not that far behind. Or even better! Go back to the Frostbourne and find somebody to help me! I don't have to go in, right?

But I knew either I go, or I don't. It would take too long to go to either the settlement or the Frostbourne. By the time I get to either of them, who knows what would happen to Rain by then?

I sobbed. My phobia? Or my friend?

I had to make a decision. And fast.

__________________

What is with me and cliffhangers nowadays......

So now! This is where your choice in Nightmares/Phobias matter! So yeah. Count the votes to see for yourself on what would happen.

~Iris

Post A/N:

Well, since this is a recovery reupload, the votes disappeared (Argh). But I'll be reuploading everything in a giant upload, so the suspense kinda disappeared.