Chapter Ten

Lilith stood by the sink, watching from the kitchen window as Toby drove out of their driveway.  She leaned forward, her head hovering about the empty sink and let out a deep breath.  Her head shot up when she felt a hand rest on the back of her shoulder blade.  Her father stood beside her, a worried look in his eyes.

"Are you okay, Lil? Do you want some breakfast?"  

She had tired eyes and her best attempt at a genuine smile but proceeded to nod anyways.  "I'm fine, dad.  Just wish I got more sleep."  She let out a yawn, covering her face until it passed.  "Can I ask you a question?"

Her dad looked towards her surprised, nodding his head.  "Yeah, of course, you can."

"If you knew something life-changing that everyone has kept secret for so long, would you tell the person that had been kept in the dark?"  Lilith watched as her father stopped what he was doing, giving her his full attention. 

He leaned against the counter, crossing his arms.  "What's this have to do with, Lil?  Is it about that boy, Toby?"

Her eyebrows furrowed, "What? No, I barely know him. I just was wondering what you would do."

Her father gave her a playful smile, "Trust your gut, sweetheart. But also go deeper than what you see.  What are the reasons for keeping these certain secrets and are they reasonable enough for you to keep quiet?"

Lilith leaned her back against the counter, her hands gripping the edges.  she only nodded in response to her father's advice, earning a questioning glance from him.  "So, are you going to tell me this secret or am I just going to have to worry?"  

"I'm okay, dad.  I'm sure I'll tell you everything once I figure out what to do."  He only shook his head in response, still worrying for his daughter but trusting her choices.

<><><><><>

The following day after Lilith had thought about what to do about the whole situation with Toby not knowing the truth about his brother, she decided that confronting his mother was the best place to start.

She parked in the same spot as she did when she first visited Ms. Whitaker's house.  Lilith still felt the same heavy feeling in her chest as she walked up the path to the front door.  She felt a huge sense of deja vu as Ms. Whitaker opened the door, a delighted expression glowing on her face.

"Oh, Lilith? I wasn't expecting you, please, come on in." Lilith walked through the doorway, following Ms. Whitaker through the hallway and into the living area. 

"I know you're probably tired of seeing my face by now," Lilith gave a small laugh, covering her insecure feeling.  Ms. Whitaker quickly shook her head, offering Lilith a seat beside her.

"Not at all, dear.  It's nice having company." 

Lilith nodded, taking a deep breath before feeling as though she was about to cross some lines.  "Okay, cool, because I actually had some questions I was hoping to ask you."

Ms. Whitaker's eyebrow raised ever so slightly, "Oh? What about?"

"Your son, actually. Toby, and even a little bit about Beck."  Lilith had a small, hopeful smile.  Ms. Whitaker nodded slowly, patting down her lap.

"Well, alright. Should I make some coffee or anything for this?"

Lilith shrugged, "I could use some water."  She watched as Ms. Whitaker nodded, going into the kitchen to grab some refreshments.  Lilith didn't actually think Ms. Whitaker would've agreed to questions regarding Beck.  She ran through the questions in her head once more before Ms. Whitaker joined her once more.