thirty six

warning: slight mention of homophobia

mingyu quickly went home to change into something more comfortable before heading to the café soonyoung texted them to all meet at, with wonwoo.

"HE DID WHAT TO WONWOO?!" soonyoung exclaimed, standing up whilst still munching on his sandwich. "i knew that guy seemed suspicious!" mingyu whacked the other on the shoulder, soonyoung whining from mingyu hitting him too hard.

"you liar! when i asked you and jihoon-hyung about it before, both of you said he was fine!" mingyu said, sipping on his iced latte.

"it's not our fault he looked innocent! he acted perfectly normal around us!" soonyoung argued, trying to defend him and his past actions. "plus, why would i even think that about someone i had just met? that's just rude!"

"hey guys!" jeonghan greeted, his arm linked with his boyfriend, seungcheol, who was smiling widely at them too. wonwoo came back from ordering his drink and dessert and sat down opposite from mingyu, sneakily taking one of the forks and having a piece of mingyu's strawberry shortcake.

mingyu turned around to his cake and noticed there was already a chunk missing. he looked at wonwoo who had a suspicious blank look on his face with his cheeks puffed out slightly. "hey! did you eat some of my cake?"

wonwoo frantically shook his head, "n-no! why do you think i did it?" he turned to soonyoung and pointed his finger at him. "it could've been soonyoung!"

"what?! i don't even like strawberry shortcake, why would i even eat his?" soonyoung lashed out, not wanting mingyu to hit him again even though it wasn't him who ate his cake. "it was probably wonwoo!"

mingyu turned to wonwoo again, "wonwoo..." mingyu said in a stern voice.

one of the workers soon came with wonwoo's drink and lemon tart. "uhhh," wonwoo started, thinking of what to do. he immediately stuffed most of the tart in his mouth and said with muffled sounds, "my mouth.. is full and i.. can't talk."

mingyu rolled his eyes and just started to eat his cake, chuckling from seeing wonwoo's cute behaviour from trying to cover up his little white lie. the rest of the group finally arrived, pulling a few tables and chairs to combine together and make one big table. chan was the last one to come due to a part time job he had to attend to but he still made it.

"so, why'd you gather us here, soonyoung?" junhui asked.

"well, since prom is in less than a week and me, seokmin and seungkwan are the one's who were chosen to organise it, we figured it be a good idea to organise the night all together." soonyoung smiled, seokmin agreeing and taking out three A3 size pieces of paper along with some markers from his backpack to write down their ideas.

"we can split off into groups to focus on different parts and then we'll start getting it ready for friday night." seokmin said, passing out the three large pieces of paper and evenly distributing the markers.

"i've already decided our groups. seungcheol, jeonghan, mingyu and wonwoo will be in charge of decorations. me, hansol, seokmin and jisoo will be in charge of the food and drinks. soonyoung, jihoon, junhui, minghao and chan will be in charge of music and lighting." seungkwan said, reading out the list from his phone. "the school gave us a huge budget for the dance so we can spend as much as we want."

they moved around to sit in their groups that had been assigned for them, uncapping the lids of the multicoloured pens and started writing down their ideas. seungcheol was sat beside mingyu whilst wonwoo and jeonghan were opposite the two. he leaned in close to mingyu's ear, who was sipping on his drink and whispering, "have you asked wonwoo to go to prom with you, yet?"

just hearing that, mingyu choked on his drink, causing jeonghan and wonwoo to look over and see if he was okay. seungcheol lightly patted on mingyu's back until mingyu stopped, chuckling because he didn't realise that mingyu would have that type of reaction. "you alright?"

mingyu nodded, "yeah- i'm fine. you just caught me off guard."

"but really, have you thought about it yet? actually, have you even thought about confessing to him yet?" seungcheol asked, taking a sip of his boba tea.

"well, not exactly. a lot has been going on recently so i haven't thought that much into it. i'm not even sure if he would want to go with me." mingyu frowned, writing on the paper already filled with a few ideas that wonwoo and jeonghan had came up with. "and to be honest, i'm kinda scared to confess. what if it messes up out friendship and i lose him as a friend?"

"you'll never know until you try. for all we know, he might say yes. plus, how could he say no to you." seungcheol laughed. the 13 boys finished planning the idea, agreeing to meet up again later in the week to start buying everything and prepare for the big and magical night.

whilst walking out the café, soonyoung started to feel his phone vibrate in his front pocket, pulling out to see the caller ID. it displayed as unknown and normally soonyoung wouldn't answer to numbers he didn't know but his curiosity got the best of him. sliding the green call button he held up the phone to his ear. "hello?"

"hoshi? why haven't you been picking up my calls? i've been calling you for weeks on end and you only answer now? you should be respecting me as your father!" a low voice said on the other end. soonyoung already felt frustrated just from the bombard of questions.

"for the last time dad, i am NOT coming back to japan just to be the ceo of your stupid corporation." soonyoung sighed, walking away to a more secluded area so no one he knew would overhear. "why can't you get that into your close minded head?!" soonyoung raised his voice, which he normally didn't do.

"don't give me that attitude, hoshi! i already have your sister and i will gladly take your pathetic excuse for a boyfriend too."

"w-what? jiyoung? no- that's impossible! you're lying!" soonyoung stuttered. how could he possibly have jiyoung? she's here in korea, i know she is!

he heard the old geezer chuckle lowly on the other end of the call, "i simply sent one of my men to fetch your pesky sister and take her back here, where she belongs."

"why did you take her?! she has nothing to do with this!" soonyoung screamed into the phone. jiyoung was he only proper family he had left, sure soonyoung had a dad but he sure didn't act like one. he already lost his mother to that man, he wasn't going to lose his sister too. but what else could he do?

soonyoung can't go through with the plans he and wonwoo discussed the last time he spoke to his father, wonwoo was busy enough with his own problems and soonyoung didn't want to dump all his shit on wonwoo. he simply took a breather to calm himself down from just smashing his phone to itty bitty pieces, hearing what his dad was about to say.

"i know you'd never come here if i just asked you. i did that last time and it just ended with a petty argument you had to start. i needed to do something which would make you want to come back. along with your sister, i was planning on taking your little boyfriend, but i didn't want another faggot infecting my household."

"don't you fucking call jihoon a faggot, you homophobic piece of shit!" soonyoung bursted into the speaker of the phone. it was so loud, some of the surrounding people walking by looked in his direction. "leave jihoon out of this! this is between you and me!"

"you don't tell me what to do." the man hummed thinking of what he could say which would make soonyoung's blood boil even more. "i'm feeling nice so this is what i'll offer you: the next flight to japan is next sunday. come back to japan to become the ceo and i'll leave jihoon and your sister alone, simple right? if you continue to be a stubborn piece of shit, well, we don't want to find out what might happen, do we?" his dad said in a mocking tone. soonyoung really didn't want to go, he didn't want to leave the great life he already had, but what other choice does he have?

"fine." soonyoung mumbled, already regretting just picking up this damn phone call. he pressed the end call button, sliding his phone back into his pocket.

can he really do this? he's leaving the country for god knows how long and he didn't even have any other option. everything that he loved, his dance class, his house, his life, his friends. jihoon.

will he really be able to leave it all behind?