Prologue

"You can't run forever, Olivia," the stranger said, smiling deviously. Where was I? I spun around, the blood rushing through my body, but all I could see was darkness. It filled every inch of the space around me. I was in danger, I realized. Danger. Danger. Danger. Danger. 

"Why not?" I demanded, my voice filling the empty void. I could see that evil smile of his again; he was back from the shadows.

"Because you will always come back for the ones you love. That's the problem with you, Olivia. You love too much. You trust the wrong people."

"Of course I will always go back for the ones I love," I growled, clenching my teeth together angrily. He laughed. It was such a hideous laugh that I could feel the goose-bumps shiver over my skin like hundreds of signs warning me against this stranger. Who was he?

"But the question is, will they go back for you?" he asked. The stranger moved away from me and my eye caught the shape of something. A gun? His cloak shifted around him as he held the object up higher. I was right; it was a gun. He stared at it with those black eyes of his, measuring it up. Measuring how much damage it could inflict. But we both knew what it could exactly do. It would kill, and it would make him a killer.

"It's such a shame, really," he continued while walking around me slowly, "you only try and do what's best for everyone else. Always putting yourself last. But you cause pain and death, Olivia. Just like myself." He grinned, flashing his teeth. "Just like your father," he added.

The fury inside of me leapt up like a lion pouncing on it's prey. "What do you know about my father?"

"A lot more than you think," the stranger replied. Then he stared, looking for my reaction. To him, I was a game. Just another toy to play with until it shattered into pieces. Then I will be thrown away, without a moment's hesiation. "But I do know that he caused your mother's death."

"He did not cause my mother's death," I spat, trying to shift my body but remaining frozen. I couldn't move and I couldn't do anything about the lies. Lies. They were all lies. He was a liar.

But I was too, wasn't I?

"You love too much, Olivia. And they never love you back. But maybe there is someone out there, that does love you." The gun clicked into place. "Its such a shame that you had to be next," he said, smiling deviously.

"Next for what?" 

"Next on the list of people to die."