Chapter 11 - Realization

When we arrived at the headquarters, Ben carried me to the nurse’s office to get me all fixed up. My nose finally stopped bleeding and was definitely broken, so some tape was put over it.

My nose finally stopped bleeding so while the Nurse wrote up a prescription for some painkillers, Ben sat on the table in front of me and gently wiped away the blood from my face. Funny it takes you nearly being shot to realize who really cares about you.

There wasn’t much they could do to fix my bruises. I had a black eye again and there was bruising all over my shins and back, but I was all right. I will be fine. I swallowed two of the painkillers and then Ben and I made our way to Mr Mason’s office.

Ben had to practically carry me to the elevator and to his office. About halfway down the hallway to his office, the painkillers kicked in and I nearly fainted with fatigue. Must be some drowsiness stuff in there.

We opened the door to Mr Mason’s office and  everyone else was already sitting down. I found a seat next to Kaine and Ben squeezed in on the other side of me.

“Don’t worry Olivia, you won’t be punished for what you did. It was the only way,” said Mr Mason. Well, that was one of twenty worries taken away from me.

“Penny told Kaine and  I that there was news for us. What is it?” I asked.

“We found out that the way the killer gains people in his alliance is if they agree, which usually doesn’t happen, so he blackmails them. Join his alliance or you die. You can get out of it if you pay them one million dollars,” said Mr Mason.

“What are you saying?” asked Kaine.

I am saying that we believe that both of your fathers have been asked by the killer to join his alliance. They didn’t have the money, so they joined,” he said. Oh, so my father was working with murderers and assassins. Great.

“Then why did he ask for money before he killed my mum and is now trying to kill me? Shouldn’t he be satisfied?” I asked.

“Unfortunately not. He plays dirty tricks. Threatens them, even if they have joined his alliance, that he will kill their whole family if they don’t bring him one million dollars,” said Mr Mason. My god, that was awful. “So you can see why we had to get Kaine and his mother out of there. They would have been killed anyway. Olivia saved your lives,” said Mr Mason to Kaine and his mother. Ben gave Kaine the “I told you so” look.

“What is the point of his alliance?” asked Kaine.

“He has formed the alliance to form a proper organization of assassins and killers. It would make him filthily rich and could very well destroy our organization, which has been formed to track down people like that,” said Mr Mason. It only just sunk in on how important this mission was. If it didn’t work out, people would keep dying.

“How do we stop him?” asked Tracy. I already knew Mr Mason’s answer though.

“We kill him.”