Chapter 6 - Captured Attention

I walked inside the school and got my locker number from the office. People would often walk past and whisper, pointing out that I was the “new girl” but no one actually came up to me and said anything. I hadn’t heard any directions from either Penny or Ben, so I guessed I was doing the right thing so far. Just as the bell rang for the first class of the day, I heard a voice come from the earpiece. It was Ben.

“Agent 13, it’s me Agent 7. Just act normal, okay? You’re doing an excellent job so far. When you go into class just sit at a desk quietly. Not too secretive and not too attention – drawing, all right? If people ask you questions just answer how you think they will fit,” instructed Ben. I nodded, hoping he saw.

I looked at my time table. The first class I had was English. Unfortunately for me, the teacher was ever so friendly and decided to introduce me to the whole class and let them ask questions about me. It seemed way too attention drawing, although I was sure she was just trying to be friendly. But I still made a note to tell Ben and Penny.

“What’s your name?” the teacher asked me after she dragged me up the front. I had been in the room for approximately five seconds.

“Rebecca,” I answered.

“Would the class like to ask Rebecca some questions about herself?” asked the teacher. The class seemed to agree, although they weren’t too enthusiastic. I was just another new kid to them.

“Where did you move from?” asked a girl with short auburn hair and dark brown eyes.

“Australia,” I answered. I could hear Penny say “Good,” through the earpiece.

“You don’t look Australian,” said a boy with light brown hair. I tried to think of something to reply with.

“Well, are you American?” I asked him.

“Yeah.”

“Well, you don’t look American,” I replied. The class laughed and the boy just looked away. I thought I was acting too confident, but I could hear Ben say “nice comeback,” in the earpiece. That’s right, you just got shamed by a girl.

“What sports do you like?” asked another boy. He too had light brown hair like the last guy, but his was a bit browner and he had dark eyes that seemed to sparkle. I must have stared at them for a good minute, until I realized his question.

“Oh…umm I like swimming, running and to play soccer,” I answered. I could feel myself blushing in embarrassment.

“Okay class, time for work now,” said the teacher. Thank god. “Rebecca, find a seat.” I looked around and tried to find a seat. Unfortunately, the only seat free was next to the idiot that thought I didn’t look Australian. I was Australian actually, except I have been living in America since I was two. I made my way to my desk and sat down quietly. “Be careful,” I heard Penny whisper in the earpiece.

“Hey, I’m Kevin,” he said while holding out his hand.

“Hi,” I said as I went to shake it. He lifted my hand and kissed the top of it. Oh lord… I could hear Ben laughing in the earpiece. “What an idiot,” I heard him say. I quickly pulled my hand away from Kevin and placed it on my lap.

“Ok class, today I will be handing out the task sheets for the English assignment I told you about last week. Get yourself into pairs and then I will hand them to you. Off you guys go,” instructed the teacher. Damn, that means I have to socialise as Rebecca, not Olivia. I looked over and saw Kevin staring at me and smiling, so I quickly picked up my book and pencil case and hopped out of my seat. Everyone was running around finding partners, but I had no idea who to be with.