Chapter 7 - Up a Notch

I sat out the front of the school with Kaine, waiting for Penny and Ben to come pick me up. I had already prepared myself for their words of what I did in the cafeteria today. When Ben and Penny pulled up, Kaine asked what relation they were of mine and I told him they were my mother and brother. Ugh once again, I was lying.

I said goodbye and hopped into the car. Penny drove off and Ben, sitting next to me, turned to face me.

“Nice moves,” he said. I rolled my eyes.

“Hey, you’re the one that taught me them. And besides, you told me to use it if I was attacked. He attacked my butt,” I said. Ben laughed.

“Look Olivia, I don’t think the damage is too bad. I mean, it was a mistake indeed, but I don’t think many people saw it anyway. Also, you told Kaine that you had karate lessons. People would believe that. Anyway, I don’t think Kaine is in the alliance, he seems too cheesy. Even if he was in the alliance, they can’t really accuse you of being a secret agent from knowing karate,” said Penny. I realized what she said was true and a flood of relief hit me.

“I just have to be more careful next time, don’t I?” I asked. Ben and Penny nodded.

“No giving roofs dirty looks,” said Ben, just before he broke into laughter. I saw Penny smiling too.

“I’m going to make you pay for that,” I said angrily. This just made Ben laugh even more.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - -- - -- - - - -- - - -- - - - -

Over the next week, I would spend my time at school trying to find clues and also sitting with Kaine at lunch. I know I wasn’t supposed to be making real friends, because of the “trust no one” rule, but he was just an easy person to talk to. Nice, friendly, kind and very calm. Besides, I wanst going to tell him anything about being a secret agent. To him, I was Rebecca Thompson.

I thought that people were buying the Rebecca Thompson disguise. Kids in my classes started saying “hi” to me, being more friendly, and no longer saw me as the New Girl. This was much easier on me to find clues and suspects, and it didn’t draw as much attention to me. I fit right in.

I thought things were going perfectly to plan, until one afternoon I was hit with something that screamed “in the alliance,” I mean, I was stupid if I didn’t see it.

I was in Maths and it was the last class of the day. That day, I had forgotten to do my homework, with all the training and that back at the headquarters. So my teacher, Mr Garner, handed me a detentions slip. He was in hid mid – thirties and already had signs of baldness appearing on his head. He had a stubble and an angry face. A face to suite his personality; always grumpy and always angry.

He then told me that it was an AFTER SCHOOL detention. This was practically screaming warning bell at me. Firstly, I wasn’t the only one in the class that forgot to do their stupid homework and I was the only one that was given an after school detention. Secondly, who the hell gives out after school detentions for not doing homework? Even my grumpiest teachers never did that.